Thursday, November 23, 2006

ordinary vs. not ordinary



Sure, its Thanksgiving, but I have work to do first. What's this thing with hippos? More orders for hippos this week, a pair of jars requested for coffee beans. A good idea, of course.
So, I was throwing this pair yesterday and said 'hey, look how dull this second pot is, before I have finished it, let's tell everybody about ordinary pots' On the left is the first, with the banding and it looks pretty good. If I had stopped when the walls were complete but unbanded, like in the one being made on the right, think how boring it would be. There are so many ordinary pots in this world, why not spend the extra time to make something visually pleasing and fun?
OK, making a small mountain of vegetarian food for the visiting mama and papa bear, featuring stuffed shells. Readers no doubt wish they could gorge themselves on ricotta and cheese stuffed pasta and pie rather than boring and ordinary turkey.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely. And not just because I don't like turkey. :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving down there pottery-family! Looks like a crisp sunny day for you! yes? Thank-goodness for things and people un-ordinary - the spice of life!

Alan said...

I would rather not be at work. BTW, are you going be up at 4 am blogging Black Friday? You really owe it to the blogosphere to record the event.

Anonymous said...

How about an extra-ordinary paper turkey!

Have fun, Gary & Maude!

Anonymous said...

Well, Alan, I will, as always, be out on Friday pushing pottery. Hopefully people and their wallets will find me (SPIRIT AND KITSCH! 210 Elmira rd Ithaca! Friday afternoon!)
I am not sure, gordo, that a paper turkey would taste all that good.
And yes, greg, the weather is pretty good. Sunny these last couple of days, but I probably won't go swimming.

Alan said...

I would wager three quatroons for a cannonball into the water below buttermilk falls.

gary rith said...

On the hottest July day of the year, Buttermilk Falls is still icy.

Alan said...

portland once took ten bucks off me jumping into Meech Lake on two separate bets one after another that he would not jump in. It was mid-October and he laughed at me for being so stupid. I have gone in the Gulf of Maine in April if only briefly.

Anonymous said...

I dashed into Lake Ontario at Richardson Beach in April once. Once. Then I dashed out again.

Anonymous said...

in college, our favorite potter would go swimming in lake paran in april and, if my memory serves me correctly, even in march with the equally cool judy.

Alan said...

Too bad our favorite potter (whoever that is) couldn't give Gary some tips on how to suck it up and give us some real entertainment for all the bandwidth he is taking up! Just one jump into Buttermilk Falls. Is that too much to ask?

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, there was swimming in March, in Vermont, not exactly a warm place. I'm still going to eat a paper turkey, and HELLO again Big D!