Sunday, November 19, 2006

the coffee question



What you see here is our coffee pot. I made it a couple of years ago. It is the simple melitta cone filter funnel thing on top with coffee pot. The funnel on the right is an exact fit into the top of the pot: so you place that guy on top, add your paper filter and coffee, then pour hot water over the top. When the drip is done, off with the funnel, on with the cute little lid. Superb coffee, and I made the whole thing myself, which probably makes the stuff taste better. The lid, as you may see, features a happy little bunny, and he has his own cup. His happy little bunny wife sits on the handle wondering why she doesn't have her cup yet. The funnel on the left has nothing to do with the coffee pot, but has a wider base, and we use it by placing it on top of a mug for a single cup.
OK, the question. I love my coffee pot but may retire it. The funnel handle had a little accident Friday, and is now glued. It can be used, sure, or even replaced. BUT before the handle broke, I had been out and around town and saw this slick looking elecric drip coffee pot by melitta. It has a STAINLESS SHINY CARAFE! THERMAL NO LESS! I am a guy, of course, and occaisionally I fall for power gadgets. I feel like a sellout. I want to retire my handmade coffee pot, for one that merely requires LOADING and flicking the switch, none of that interactive boiling the kettle and slowly pouring water through....
the jury is out. What to do?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya, Gary. I've fallen for a Cuisinart coffee maker with a built-in bean grinder. Like you, there's nothing wrong with my current coffee maker and grinder.

Sexy gadgets like this just aren't fair. Men are powerless to resists them.

Anonymous said...

Wait, it GRINDS and brews?

Anonymous said...

Ya, man! Isn't that great!

Anonymous said...

Does it vacuum the floors and and dust too? Pour a cold one for ya? Chat about baseball? I am sure that THAT coffee maker will come along one day, oh yea.

Anonymous said...

I'd be shocked if someone wasn't trying hack a Roomba vacuum to make coffee. ;-)

Deborah said...

The grind and brews are a pain to clean. The steam makes the grinds adhere to everything in the machine and you have to clean it.
Funny thing is I see the ceramic pot and think that I'd love to find something like tha.

Anonymous said...

LISTEN SEATLE JOE, WHO ARE YOU? People like you can FIND the coffee pot of your dreams, right here, made by me. You want a doggy, pig, rhino, hippo on your coffee pot? I can do it. Please make note, as I say above: it makes SUPERB coffee. OK,email me at
garyrith@yahoo.com
and thanks for visiting!
Gordo-it occurs to me that what's missing is service. Think Wallace and Gromit: the fresh cup is delivered to you. That is needed.

Anonymous said...

awww... so cute but almost sad. Sad that you could think about a replacement. But I suppose all good things must come to an end sooner or later. Just place the cutie bunny pot in a place for fond remembrance and go for the new gadget. :) ~Audrey

PS.. love the bunny pot. Adorable.

Anonymous said...

COFFEE SAGE--hey, thanks for the visit! Well, the bunny coffee pot lives on, I simply avoid the handle which was reglued. I shall replace the funnel. What was I thinking? And thanks for the linky love!

Anonymous said...

ah.. you are very welcome.

I don't know. I get a bit sentimental over the oddest things. I wonder how many times I've continued to use or do something that would seem silly to others simply because I thought that I would feel guilty about doing something different. lol... silly me.

gary rith said...

LINKY LOVE! Spreading the joy...