Monday, November 27, 2006

happy feet




Sure sure sure, we'll get back to pots shortly. Something more important first. I like black sneakers. You see, my tiny little Welsh great-grandfather worked his whole life in the Converse shoe factory in Massachusetts, making Chuck Taylors. So, you know, sneaks are in my blood. I have two ancient white pairs of Chuck Taylor lowtops someplace, so old they were actually made in the US. I never seem to wear shoes out, and I don't get rid of old pairs either, so there are little stashes of sneakers in different closets, and since I forget them, it is fun to come across old favorites and wear them again.I especially like the pair on my feet here, suede Converse, almost 15 years old. The high tops next to me feet I found at the side of the road last summer (brand new condition! my size! my wife dodged 55 mph traffic to get them off the highway!) and the black Chuck Taylor low tops were hand me arounds. Stay away from Adidas, I think, this pair looks good but they're junk. The black Vans here are wicked comfortable and well made.
OK, so yesterday Missus Pottersblog is looking at boots in the store, just in case winter ever comes along, and I start looking at the Simple Shoes black sneaks. This is a temptation, I must say....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm on the hunt for decent shoes. I generally spend the months from April to October in sandles and lately, winter ina pair of Dunham boots.

I have loads of sneakers, but they never fit as well a month after I buy them as they did when I forst got them. I have no idea why, other than perhaps rushing the purchase. I despise "shopping", so I tend to grab a pair thet seems ok and run.

Time to invest some time in finding good shoes. Preferably NOT made by 10-year-olds in SE Asia.

gary rith said...

Vans are wicked comfy and well made, by somebody. Simple....??? Seemed good to me.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that, Gordo. I tried the same but was told it was pretty much impossible.

I was going to say I only had one pair of sneakers (Reeboks), but then I remembered my (fake) Converse lowtops...and the black no-name ones I bought at a discount store in Paris (leave it to me to go to Paris and find the equivalent of Bi-way).

gary rith said...

One imagines you in red converse Chuck Taylor high tops, cm, and when you visit next we shall help you find them (EASY!)

Anonymous said...

It's very tough to be a concientious consumer in the early 21st century. It's getting easier in some areas, but clothing is a tough nut to crack.

Alan said...

I swear by Doc Martins. My brown loafers are nearing their 20th season.

I always wore the light grey Chuck Taylors but you had to be careful as that terribly cool colour was only cool when they were fairly new. I wear 3.5 year old Adidas leather b'ball sneaks, low top and white with red stripes which I am assured are intensely out.

gary rith said...

my adidas, barely worn and looking cool, are kinda falling apart and i am a little disappointed

Anonymous said...

I'm dying to get the boys some Chucks, but they're pricey. Maybe just for the baby . . .

Anonymous said...

Maybe go the other way, Toni: a pair for the eldest, which can move down the ladder to the nextboy, then the next boy...
So, I wonder what kind of Chuck's their mother would wear? Polka dotted?

Anonymous said...

I got my first converses (low tops)
today
ahhhhh I a so happy