Friday, November 10, 2006

"Ska is the music from the planet of beautiful women"


So says Ross. OK, here is another, studio video, version of 'Gangsters' from the Specials, for Gordo, big pottery fan. Like I say, I was gonna put these up this am, but got sidetracked by the missus.

In comments, Lucia mentions I must have a happy happy life, and yes, I do. I sit around in my own private fog thinking of bowls and piggies and zebras and teapots and put it all together. I am actually quite reclusive and shy, rarely go out, spend most of my time rattling around house and studio, with the missus and the dogs and cats. I have met artists with cheerful and happy, cute work, but they have been sour and crazy, oddly. I am pretty cheerful and content, I love to laugh and joke and goof around, and know I am a darn lucky guy to be working at this, rather than roofing or digging ditches or flipping burgers.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think you can tell an artist's mood by the work they produce.

Ska is such a lost artform. I'm not certain if it's a good thing to admit that Madness drew me into it or not?

Anonymous said...

House of Fun!

Anonymous said...

Gordo, I think that the Specials were IT. The were SKA. They were also PUNK, in my mind. Think of how unusual it was in the 70s for a band to have both white and black guys, but it is obviously a natural mix of talents. Gotta see what you have over there, at the house.
MMMM, OK, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, from New England=modern ska.
Hey everybody, don't forget to go down and dig 311, a SKAish band yesterday, with their 'Amber' tune, and the visuals make you wanna quit and move to the beach.

Anonymous said...

You're right gordo, those kids are having FUN hopping around.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I had completely forgotten about the Bosstones!

Anonymous said...

Yes, gordo, ska, but a different and less frantic style. And then 311, sorta mellow ska, totally unfrantic.

Anonymous said...

shy? you? i don't think so.

Anonymous said...

I've known you, big D, since before the mustache. Your opinon on me doesn't count. I wish I was half as charming as you, though, D.