Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Dental perfection


Gordo is well known herabouts. Now, I hate orders, as mentioned before, BUT I always listen politely, and heck, sometimes people have good ideas, like Sean and the hippo sugar bowl (I made another just now, on the right). So, Gordo has a family, saw Sean's toothbrush holder, and asked about one with a starfish. I think he had some good and specific ideas, but I got my own ideas and ran with them. The problem with an order is if it is somebody else's idea, you make it poorly. You have to get into yourself, with the planning and such, to do your best work. Like Denis saying I should do Big Foot. Just can't picture it, Denis.
But I have made many cute little starfishes, although not since about 1996. Gordo is giving me a VERY helpful idea here. So, his family has maybe 5 humans in it, plus maybe the occaisional visitor. Six holes then. BUT, how to wrap the arms of the starfish around the holes, yet leave the middle open for toothpaste? Also, if there are little kids, maybe kids toothbrushes are really short? I dunno. The holder on the right was the taller first one, the far left is with the top curled over a bit. It seems to me that these 2 starfish have sort of a saucy look about the lips....
Anyway, I think I want to glaze them entirely in light green, but maybe one of the starfish I will leave as a sandy color? I will do one each way.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. A potting machine you are, Gary. A machine producing art, though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks gordo. There is talk, if the weather is OK, of me making a mad northward dash saturday the 26th, for lunch.
You could have a look at these babies and see what you think.
And thanks for the tip to your friend.

Anonymous said...

Coolness. I'll make a point of being in town ... :-D

I've been after him to email you for days.

I was just showing your stuff off to the secretaries at work as well. Many ooohs and ahhhs were heard.

gary rith said...

:: blush ::
Thank you. If it isn't snowy and such, maybe I can do it.
man, I gotta get back to work and the house is a mess and the traveling VET is coming over, James Herriot style!

GenX at 40 said...

You're coming north? Damn, I was thinking of a beer run that day.

Anonymous said...

can picture a bigfoot! you? you're the most creative person i know!

Anonymous said...

You guys let me know where to meet you for lunch. I'll even drag myself from construction work specifically. :-D

Will Mrs. Poottersblog be coming? We might get bored with you ... :-D

Anonymous said...

Alan, I am caught in a spot here. Gotta get stuff delivered somehow, so when? I think that day could work. Gordo, she is definately the brains and personality in this outfit, but she works a lot and so we shall have to see.
(OK, don't tell Canadian customs but I have a plan to smuggle pottery north....)

Alan said...

You come on up, Gary. You need the sales to buy me a beer at the brew pub.

gary rith said...

Ima gonna be a rich man, yessir.

Anonymous said...

I'll jump at the chance to buy an American some Canuck beer. :-) Gary, you buy Alan's and I'll buy yours.

Anonymous said...

Well, you have to wonder where 'Canuck' comes from. Canadian and woodchuck?
The missus is all for it, don't know about he dog sitter yet but I am sure it can be figured out. Mother nature is the only big question for that day, but it can always be attempted the Sunday if things look better.
Look forward to meetin' ya'll.

Anonymous said...

Lunch!? Brew pub? Count me in too! Gordo, give me a call to get me out of the woodshop in time! ;)
Cheers
GB

Anonymous said...

I'm a little slow, but GB? International man of mystery, I think....
Hey, c'mon, where does Canuck come from?

Anonymous said...

GB

that be me!... hmm been here in K-town Since '90. Known Gordo since... '96? '97?

yep... I am SUCH a mystery! hehehe