Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Here's lookin' at you kid...


Boy, sometimes the experimental potter says ‘what am I doing here and what do I think of this?’.



The studio here in my house is not glamorous, but it is nice, has a skylight and tons of west facing windows looking down through woods to the river. It has been bright all of the last 6 months but suddenly it is dark dark dark all day long. Just as March is mind blowingly bright, November is DARK. Always a shock to the system, but hey, northern NY was 60 degrees and sunny Monday, more expected this week...I tell ya, something is wrong!
Face jugs are an important part of traditional southern pottery, and I love them. I am a goofball, of course, but my first ever adventures in goofy pots was with face cups and jugs. When these guys are glaze fired in a few days I will put them up, with more about face jugs and mugs, but I finished these 3 today and I am wicked pleased. It was a VERY FUN day at the purple house and studio. I hadn’t made any faces in a year or two, and got in the mood because of paintings by Alice Muhlback, referenced last week. I wanted to make faces kind of looking up at the drinker with a sort of not exactly pleased look on their face, and these 3 look pretty good and they sure have me laughing. On the far right is a face mug I made back in 1989, still my favorite, and the little cup in front is from 1998, when I had that big mustache myself.

8 comments:

Muad'Dib said...

I like the teacup. The jugs give me the creeps but in a good way. In a totally non-pc vein of thought, I'd glaze one in blackface just to upset stiff whitebread PC friends of mine.

Anonymous said...

Reality: celadon, graish/bluish/pale green color.

Anonymous said...

GRAYISH, sheesh.

Anonymous said...

they're great but my favorites are still the naked ladies. do more of them. please. pretty please.

Anonymous said...

Shush, Denis, this is a family friendly blog!

Anonymous said...

well, exactly, to be precise, they are not really naked. it's all in the eye of the beholder. if someone is naked but you don't see anything, is the person naked. i.e. the elderly ladies that did the calender to raise money for a charity. didn't they do a movie on them.

Anonymous said...

Nice try, denis, but your argument still needs a bit of work.

Anonymous said...

Charity, Denis?