Monday, November 13, 2006

Sam cat

Yesterday's potrait of the working potter stated that he was working on a child's teapot. As I said, I can get pretty small, marble or golf ball sized, but this thing was a piece of cake. Smaller than a baseball, but fully functioning, I made a tiny little cat teapot for a customer who collects teapots, but has a full house. You see, there is always room for more of my work. Sammy says that thing looks nothing like him.

I entered a teapot competition in September, amid much fanfare on this blog, and the jury made a mistake and I am not a winner. There are competitions opening every month around the US and the world. The Strictly Functional Pottery National may be the biggest enchilada, other than stuff the Smithsonian Museum sponsors. I have won some entries in recent years, and lost a whole lot more, but the only way to get into the Strictly Functional National is to enter. There is also a cup thing I am considering, and every year this nifty teapot show in Chicago, which tries to showcase outlandish teapots. Oh yes, I can do outlandish teapots.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam's just waiting for you to pour him a cuppa. :-)

Anonymous said...

who knew teapots were so...competitive.

btw, i love that photo!

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the cat, though ... I'm allergic ...

Anonymous said...

A cuppa milk, cm.
Thanks Big D, I'll tell him.
Wow! What a coincidence gordo! Sean is allergic to elephants!

Muad'Dib said...

I'm allergic to cats too but I have never not owned one. I suffer due to their superior companionability.

My cat follows me around when I go on hikes. Occasionally I have to backtrack when he gets lost which I may add is weird for cat that hunts like a wild puma.

Anonymous said...

Both or our cats have always been inside cats, first because they were city apt. dwellers, now becauseof the busy roadway in font. I am allergic to them too, but when I saw Sammy here as a little stray kitten 16 years ago and he jumped in my lap and began purring....oh, I love him so much, and also the fat little gray tiger pictured saturday, Emily. My wife understands that Sammy came to me before she did, and he has seniority over her.....

Susan as Herself said...

I don't know which is sweeter---that teapot or the face on the gorgeous cat!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Susan, he is a sweetie. He was left on the front step of Treehouse Animal Shelter on Carmen St, Chicago, right close to your place, the winter of 1990. He was in a box with a bigger cat who was beating on him. It was wicked cold too, and when I brought him home he was very sickly for 2 days, but then he had some turkey and now it is 16 years later.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the healing power of turkey.

Anonymous said...

He can be fooled. He gets really excited over tofurkey and tofu sausages.

Anonymous said...

doesn't tofu give worms to cats?

Anonymous said...

Denis, could you be wearing out your welcome here?