Monday, November 27, 2006

back in the barnyard


(my work on top, manufactured pieces below)
What we have here is a comparison. Saturday the missus and I saw cute little (but not handmade) cow creamers like this guy here. I was tempted to get one, but the missus said I should make one. Then Ellen tells me later about Portland and his rooster pitcher and how when he pours it out the rooster's beak he makes appropriate barfing sounds.
So, the potter returns home, thinking 'how could I make that cow? how could I make that rooster?' Remember--a manufactured piece was not made the same way I would make something, on the wheel with add ons. A designer draws something and then makes a model somehow and then molds. Doesn't translate into hand work very well.
So, I was messing around in the studio, not very successfully, and just said 'you know, I make a nice cow creamer already' so I tabled these thoughts for further consideration.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I like your cow creamer better. The other'd be a b!tch to clean. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love the cheering section....

Anonymous said...

your creamers are a million times nicer!

Anonymous said...

Santa will fill your stocking, Denis, with toys and candy.

Anonymous said...

oh good! i can't wait!

gary rith said...

You know, I may be able to do that cow somehow...