Thursday, July 24, 2008

Fortune cookie and the sacred spiral



(pots by Gary Rith)
Sounds like a new wave band, eh?
Fortune cookie is a blogger whose real name is________ and she asked for a teapot with a spiral motif somehow. You know how I feel about people and their kooky ideas, but she is really nice and I started thinking. I first put little spiral dots on there which will be glazed a different color, then I added these little spiral on the lids as knobs! Yeow! I like that idea. Anyway, I have to make a small one for her, this is a huge set, but has the sort of dynamic look I find pleasing.
And I continue to fiddle with lizards, as in the lower pic.

7 comments:

Fortune Cookies said...

I'm so effin' excited! I almost spilled the beans on the surprise present this will be for my friend last night, but I controlled myself, barely. Those look wonderful and I can't wait to see how Snappy's smaller version turns out! I love the spiral topper! LOVE IT! L-O-V-E I-T! and I just know she will!
I think those lizzard mugs are looking for a spot in my cabinet...but I'm afraid they'd have to push out some others first...

Reb said...

Oh, that is very nicely done.

Susan as Herself said...

I have always loved spirals.

I used to have these really cool spiral earrings, but I lost them. or they were stolen. Not sure.

Spirals are lovely, and very mystical.

Unknown said...

those spirals are really inspiring, and such pretty things, too! Very nice, Gary! Very!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, and yeah! I meant to ask if you thought by any chance your admiration for pigs might have had any influence there?

Anonymous said...

Nice!! And I happen to know that you do a durn good job with your customers' kooky ideas and special orders (even if it does rub your creative soul the wrong way).

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Gary - the teapot set is looking good!... How in the world do you post so much? I've been away from blog reading for a couple of days and you have 25 posts!!! I would never get any pots made and yet you're so darn prolific. I think you must have a clone. Yep, that's it.