Sunday, July 13, 2008

Yanks 9, Blue Jays 4, and WHY I LOVE TORONTO





(me at the Roger's Centre and with the CN Tower stuck through my head, behind home plate, roughly, and my two pals Alex Rodriguez 13, and Derek Jeter 2, on the left)
SO, I get back from TO and a rather fine ball game, but the internet is out all day. SORRY! A bit stormy here I guess.
I LOVE TORONTO. Wow, I hadn't visited since 1988, and what a boom town. The former Skydome, now Roger's Centre has got to be the best stadium in baseball--huge, comfortable, great seats, and halfway through they closed the roof to keep the rain out. The Yankees were down 4-1, but came back and won 9-4!!!! I wouldn't want to be married to A-Rod, but he had a great game, a double and a home run that almost landed in my lap.
Toronto fans are so much nicer than all these rude Yankees fans off the bus, taking over the stadium--maybe just as many New York fans as locals. Everybody in beautiful Toronto is terribly polite and friendly.
You know it is a different country when there are smoke shops selling Cuban cigars, and there are men standing outside the stadium entrance smoking weed, in front of a police officer, who is looking the other way.....

7 comments:

Gordo said...

It IS an amazing building, isn't it? The taxpayers got screwed over for it, but that's another story. One of these days, I'm going to have to make sure I'm there when the roof is in motion. No suck luck yet.

Oh, the Yanks lost 4-1 this afternoon. The bit of the game that I caught from the cottage looked like the roof was open.

gary rith said...

I am thinking I could be a Toronto fan, from time to time.

Reb said...

Glad you had fun Gary.

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of smiling going on. :)

Seattle has one of those closable roofs for the M's, but I've never been in the stadium. I'm afraid baseball puts me to sleep -- unless we're talking little league! I'm very alert at my nephew's games. :)

Chatty said...

Great pictures - especially of YOU! Glad you had a good time!
Canada IS pretty cool, isn't it?

gary rith said...

ha ha! pretty cool! Yeah, most of the year!

cm said...

You could be a Jays fan when they aren't playing the Yankees.