Monday, July 14, 2008
(sharks going into the kiln)
I made little sharks for my young friends Cameron and Phil. Just after I took this pic, I turned the kiln on and it went POP! A small explosion! Well, more like a flashbulb in the computerized firing system. Some kind of electrical surge, so I checked and reset the breaker down in the basement.
At the end of the firing cycle later in the day, the thermocouple was registering some kind of error on the computer screen, and I had to open up the guts of the kiln on Sunday. The bundles of wiring inside that lead to the elements were pushing against the thermocouple connection, and so I had to move them. The computer screen cleared the error.
You are always careful with the kiln, and you always watch it because you don't want a __________. I can't even say it.