Sunday, September 10, 2006

Whacka-doo, whackadoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe1I7BQAIlE

Nasty political debates elsewhere, which some people are able to expend serious quantities of hot air on. I find it distasteful, as I don't like arguing of any sort. I will let these tunes do it for me. This is a rather athletic tune and video from Rage Against the Machine, 'Guerrilla Radio.'
Rage was one of those noisy 90's bands, sadly gone, who had a pretty distinct sound thanks to their frontman. He sings with a .....hiss and yell? Something like that. In Iowa in 2000 he said any presidential candidate who jumped into the mosh pit got his support. Al declined, but the otherwise conservative Alan Keyes jumped right in...
wish Rage against the Machine was still active. There seems to be a lot of politics worth hissing and yelling about.
Dreamed I had 2 hamsters.
Momentary lull in the family visits before it heats up again mid-week. There have been so many meals out, sundaes, leftovers....we need to recover before the next round.
So, back to work. I had spoken of goblets last week. I make them in 2 parts. The fellow I apprenticed to, 20 years ago, made the top, then when it was halfway dry he placed a blob of clay on and threw it in place. That is like tight rope walking without a net. Well, maybe not that hard, but tricky to my mind. I throw the stem seperately and join both halves. Very easy. OK-the whacking part. I realized that what you can achieve here, such as on the left above, is something that looks like a tulip shape, petals and all! That is so cool, for a wine glass. The first 2 I whacked last week had four petals, these have 3 which looks better. Also, our old pal from St John's, Chrissie (you remember her, right?) is Irish, and likes Irish coffee. She has written asking about maybe some Irish coffee mugs. Made the same as goblets in 2 parts, that is an interesting mug type: regular mug, up on a small base. The practical part is the base remains cool and dry, no rings on the good table when you set it down. The above photo shows a rather out of control Irish coffee mug I was messing with, whacked the sides, the handle, and laid on a little pigs. Of course.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, whacking is a technical term?
Respectfully yours,
Apprentice in Aspen

gary rith said...

Well, yes. whacking is useful. That was brought up last month by celeste or somebody else. To tell the truth, I am out to entice customers with a peek at what I am working on, NOT tell other potters my secrets.

Anonymous said...

As long as credit is given where due. :-) I do like the 3-petal tulip look.