Thursday, September 07, 2006

Happy Birthday Chrissie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqvmP9s8DY&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUXQMNqUxdc&mode=related&search=
http://music.aol.com/artist/the-pretenders/5177/main#http://

One day my friends will show me a better way to post links but for now...
These three tunes show Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders in the 70s, then the 80s, and now. The first, ‘Tattooed Love Boy’ is so rollicking good, I think it should be a test of friendship: in order to be my friend, would you rather watch anything by Steely Dan or "Tattooed Love Boy" by The Pretenders? The truth would hurt, but I have standards... Chrissie Hynde turns 55 today!
OK, Chrissie and me. My wife will tell you from firsthand experience that I dig older chicks. Of course, my early training in that direction came from a crush on Chrissie, only 15 years older than me, 30 to my 15 at the time...but she got into that thing with Ray Davies of the Kinks, her mistake. Maybe she is the most influential of them all, a tough chick who could do soft too.
(see also, tough rock chicks in previous posts, Sonic Youth and Plasmatics)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So will choosing Chrissie make up for yesterday's Smiths? :-)

Anonymous said...

It has been said before, Celeste, that it is people like you what causes unrest.

GenX at 40 said...

A good trick on linking and other features of blogging is to find a blog whose style you like, click on "View" and then "Source" on the browsers drop down menu. ANother screen will open with all the code behind the blog page. Search around and you will find the code - the bits between the "<" and the ">" and you can copy the structure to give the effect you like.

GenX at 40 said...

By the way, I still have my copy of the first Pretender's album bought when it came out. That is the best band ever to come out of the USA or at least Ohio.

Anonymous said...

And yet her bandmates were English. Fantastic combo. Garbage, another fab band fronted by a distinctive female lead, does it with an American band and SCOTTISH chick, and that will perhaps be on the tunes o' the day manana....