Friday, September 15, 2006

Iggy Pop, tunes o' the day


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxcRYd8icr8

Iggy Pop! My wife has been waiting for this. At the end of ‘Trainspotting’, which was a strangely compelling and entertaining film despite its awful look at, shall we say, a certain lifestyle, Iggy Pop does a little dance. We love Iggy Pop.
Forgot his real name, but he was born in Michigan and some people think he invented punk somewhere between the late 60s and the 70s. Somebody had to! despite his, um, self-destructive habits then, he made some awesome tunes in the 80s and 90s, including ‘Lust for Life’ here. The guy looks pretty fit, especially since I once saw a New Yorker magazine catoon of him calling him ‘Iggy Grandpop’, since he is far from young.

OK, making today and what not. (I still need to mix my glazes) There has been heated discussion elsewhere about my glazes. And other secrets. Here is a little story.
A few years ago, Otto Heino, an 80 year old grand master potter, developed a copy of a famous yellow glaze from Japan. The glaze has its merits, but mine is better. His is a semi-matte, often full of pinholes. But he fires about 100-200 degrees hotter in a gas or wood kiln, and his glaze is from natural mysterious Japenese ingredients like, I don't know, egg yolks and lemon grass. My glaze is SHINY, buttery yellow with a sweet smooth surface. My ingredients are off the shelf, industrial ceramics supplies, with a specially formulated yellow stain anybody could buy (I am not telling) and I use an electric kiln. OK, so Otto's glaze is an historically accurate reproduction of an ancient glaze, mixed and fired as it would have been for hundreds of years. Mine still looks better. Anyway, word got out and a group of Japanese business types asked to buy his recipe for half a million dollars. You could say hey, the guy's 80, SELL! But Otto already has 2 Rolls Royces and is wealthy. Instead he offered their pick of any 20 yellow pots from the studio, figuring as anybody would that they would laugh and leave. They instead wrote him a check and packed up 20 pots. What is that, 25, 000 per pot? I have seen many of Otto's pots for sale, 200-1300 bucks each, but that was a high price. He apparently dumped the money in a savings acct, at less than one percent interest.
True story, from 'Otto's Gold', Ceramics Monthly magazine a couple of years ago.
I will post more later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, Iggy!

Anonymous said...

If I had a new dog or cat would I name it Iggy Pop?
The man showed he had a genius intelligence when he got together for 'Candy' with Kate Pierson of the B52s. Talk about two towering talents.

Anonymous said...

Someone give that man a sandwich. He's much too skinny.

gary rith said...

Well, celeste, he is in good shape, but maybe he should wear his shirt more often? He is a little stringy. Myabe he has lots of frenetic energy to burn. Looks like it.

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to admit, it is kinda sexy in a punk sort of way.

Anonymous said...

I think the look is better with not so long hair, like in the Candy video. Do you think he shaves his chest and maybe back too?
Blech.