Saturday, September 09, 2006

Invasion of the women from planet Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb6nX9G4vX8

My old pal Alan and I have one of those John VS Paul type arguments when it comes to the Who. Obviously, Roger Daltry looked fantastic, had great and curly hair, and had that huge voice. My kind of hero. Alan says Pete Townshend was the musical genius and leading light. Achh. Maybe. He has that sort of whiney, nasal voice and he didn’t really have rock star looks, and on top of that, in interviews he has sometimes acted snobby and superior about his Who bandmates. That to me is inexcusable. They were a fantastic GROUP, not Pete Townshend does the songs of the Who, which he has actually done in recent years, on tour. Waste of money, in my mind.
BUT, a whole different category to me is Pete’s solo efforts, which were dynamite. Rough Boys came out in 79 or thereabouts, while the Who was still active and in the studio (OK, correct me, I am talking off the top of my head). I was babysitting one night, in the pre-MTV days and Pete had a video on late Saturday night, with billiard balls and whatnot, and it was a great video for a greater tune. The video here is a live performance of Pete doing ‘Rough Boys’ not long ago,and it is perfect. He looks just like my dad, interestingly: bald, 70ish, very fit and rockin’ (those are compliments, Pops!). Don’t hold your breath on the guitar thing, he doesn’t smash this one. I don’t know who his band is here, but don’t you think they do a great job? Alan willl discover and perhaps change his mind about Pete here. The final seconds of this video shows Pete, having done a masterful job performing his own tune, starts in on one from the Who. NO NO NO! Terrible!

OH Yeah, the invasion of the Chris’s.
This is all true, I swear it: As you know, here at potter’s blog we have been celebrating Chrissie Hynde’s birthday. I also have a cousin named Cristina visiting from Germany (distant cousin, like 6th or 12th degree, but FAMILY, ya know?) And lastly, our dear old pal Chrissie from St. John’s wrote asking about my famous mother-in-law, Chris, visiting this week. Yes, monster quantities of food and cheer have been consumed...

OK, Bobby from out in Flagstaff, Arizona emailed the other day about this Teapot competition. He is correct: I havn’t talked about them in a bit, and the deadline is this week. You saw me make the yellow one, start to finish a couple weeks ago. Above are my final 5 entries in a group photo. Now the images go (seperately) off to Baltimore Clayworks, where they will choose 100 winners. I think my entries are pretty hot. It is a very diverse group too, hopefully the judges will like one or more.

No comments: