Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Purple aplenty, purple galore


OK, about glazes and glazing. Mike, my old pal from New Hampshire called yesterday. We talked all the time in NH, and still do so as we both have those wide open calling plans. He, like me, is a stay at home papa and potter. We talk mostly about glazes. The 2 wives get this glazed look in their eyes when we talk, but we get excited and that is what counts, in pottery. I mean, not everyone cares whether you use copper carbonate OR copper oxide. But Mike and I do, passionately. So, he called, and we talked about new greens. His computer isn’t working at the moment, so I can be frank here. I don’t like to share my own glazes, with anybody, even friends. Mike is much nicer and more generous. HOWEVER, I have many books and magazines with glaze recipes, and I share those and compare notes. My own recipes are worth millions, and are locked in a safe. Really! OK, although true, it sounds extreme, but they are nice, and they are mine. Monday I was painting things around the house purple, as mentioned below, and the only glaze I have a full bucket of is my grape, a deep bluish purple, so all those bowls and the rest: purple. I really need to mix up all the others. It is such a filthy job though....anyway, when you have tulip-ish goblets, purple is a good color. I typically blob greens into the creases as you can see above, which then runs down in a pleasing way.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

purple vs indigo
Discuss.

Anonymous said...

you know, celeste, that these are important questions. I consider my grape glaze a deep purple, toward bluish. It should be, because I toss cobalt into the recipe. Indigo, as in 'indigo girls', not, is a bit different in my mind. It is more blue with a tiny hint of purple. Like new jeans. OK, now when I look it up in the dictionary I find the same range:
"4. a color ranging from a deep violet blue to a dark, grayish blue"
is indigo in the eye of the beholder? Do you know it when you see it? If you held up a bluish flower and called it indigo, I would surely say it is a very pleasing color. My glaze is definately more purple than blue, though. Topic for another day: periwinkle blue, maybe also cornflower blue, lovely shades both. And then there is lilac....

Anonymous said...

The picture looks indigo to me, but perhaps in person it would be more on the purple end of the spectrum. Like the blue grape.

Anonymous said...

One wall in my apartment is lilac. I find it a very soothing colour.

Anonymous said...

Some people say my eyes are cornflower blue.

Anonymous said...

Gee Chrissy, at least they don't say your hair is indigo, unless you have changed it since we saw you last!
OK--my camera apparatus is basic and that picture, cm, does look very indigo-ish. I see your point. Have a look at the grape glaze next time you come over. It is purple, but a few people have said it is very blue. I am cooking up a small project with you in mind, cm, check in Wednesday am. Also, there are about 50,000 items glazed grape firing right now, currently at (this is true) 1555 degrees f. Maybe tomorrow afternoon a pic.

Anonymous said...

i'll add my two cents: it looks indigo to me.

Anonymous said...

It is people like you Denis what causes unrest.
The Missus says 'indigo is a peacock blue like no other'.

Anonymous said...

Gawd, what's wrong with you people? The guy says purple, it must be purple! Probably a cheap camera, though.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the camera was FREE. The picture software too.
:^)
WOOT WOOT! My first time with 10 comments!