Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Buster is a Oenophile


I get letters all the time from people like Natalie in Sonoma. She writes 'you write about beer and beer steins and coffee mugs and teapots all the time. Wine lovers feel left out! Do you make goblets?'
Well, Natalie, I can and sometimes do. Rule one of pottery is only make what you would like to use, and when it comes to wine, I like a glass. Yep, it is true, I wouldn't want one of my own goblets. I came of (pottery) age in a time when the 70s were setting and the NEW AGE was upon us, with lots of big brown pottery goblets for medieval style wine slugging. Not my style. I was commissioned by Grace Episcopal Church of Chicago for a complete communion set in 1993, and I made it, and it looked slick. A couple of goblets, little pitcher, small box for the toast, plate for same, candle holders, even a couple of crosses. The goblet famously slipped to the floor during communion once (must have been a sinner out there) and so in 96 I made them a new, better, slicker set. Anyway, my goblets sell well, and here is a picture of an idea I got yesterday: why not whack the sides in an interesting way? Buster is showing us the first, next to its twin brother not yet completed.

6 comments:

GenX at 40 said...

Gary - my favourite drink happens to be red wine (yes, even with all the other temptations in this house!), and my receptacle of choice is a terracotta type of thing, glazed inside and on the outer top rim, complete with a raised grape leaf design. Flat bottomed, no stem. Wine glasses are too easy to tip over, especially around the kids. This I can set on the carpet or the arm of the sofa with no worries. I wouldn't mind seeing one with a piggy on it....

Cheers! (welcome to blogdom)

Ellen

[see GX40 for a photo - can't link it through the comments]

gary rith said...

Well, Ellen, it sure is nice to have you visit. Goblets are one of those little challenges: how do you make a nice one? How do you deal with the stem? You are right, piggies and wine goblets are an obvious combo, and I would be happy to junk up your life with pots.
Please visit again, early and often!

Anonymous said...

You know, Ellen, now that I think of it, a little bird told me you also like Guiness stout. That is one cute little pot you have to drink out of, leaves and all, and I would suggest you ignore my above remarks about large brown wine goblets and medieval style slurping. Of course, I wonder where you got such a thing? In Europe?

GenX at 40 said...

My mother ordered it in Stratford, Ontario. Probably through a vendor at the market. I'll ask.

by the way, nothin' wrong with medieval-style slurpin'!

GenX at 40 said...

My mother ordered it in Stratford, Ontario. Probably through a vendor at the market. I'll ask.

by the way, nothin' wrong with medieval-style slurpin'!

Anonymous said...

Well, Ellen, this is fantastic. Your visits, that is. We need quality comments and good ceramic chat. We shall start something here.
A visit to friendly Canadian potters would surely be a treat, near Stratford or elsewhere.