Monday, September 18, 2006

Burnt toast

Here is an email exchange typical of responses to yesterday’s news, and my attempts to laugh at the dark humor of losing another window’s worth of pots on display, in less than 12 months:
from our old pal and customer cm:
I'm torn - on the one hand I agree you should be able to laugh at it, but on the other hand I'm an Irish Catholic - we wrote the book on superstitious! And it isn't fun, really, when things are destroyed. But still, one must laugh in the end, as "crying only causes wrinkles." :-) (thanks cm's mom for that last bit)
To which I responded:
Well, you are correct, as in don't tempt the fates and such. But then again, embracing this sort of thing and saying something like 'break a leg' has that sort of carry an umbrella so it doesn't rain type effect.
Thanks gr

Jim from Hollis emailed me to take out my stuff in the window bad luck jokes, he really thought people would stay away from my work. I think that is too serious.
You see, I thought it was absurdly funny at first, in a detached sort of literary way, but then got grumpy about it, because I may have lost a few hundred bucks of gorgeous pots. BUT BUT BUT lesson number one in pottery is that it is a fragile medium. You could bury it in the ground like Egyptians and 4000 years later it would be just as nice. Or you can make a gorgeous little pot and break it when it comes out of the kiln, or anywhere else along the way. It happens all the time. Being a pro means you minimize the chance for breakage: good practices in the making and transporting of stuff.
The best part of years of experience is being able to imagine a new idea and then have the skills and experience to make it happen. I am monkeying with textured handles as I showed last week, and I have settled on a nifty approach that is working well.
Maybe some pics later today.
So, you know, life goes on, and as my instructor Jane said (for many thousands of tuition dollars--but it is priceless advice) ‘make more!’

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrying on with the supersitions, these things do tend to run in threes...

Anonymous said...

superstitions

And I previewed. Maybe I shouldn't comment before breakfast.

Anonymous said...

You are forgiven, cm. I maintain the umbrella=no rain theory.
I gotta stop watching Beastie Boys videos and do some work...

Anonymous said...

Somehow I ended up on the Beasties' mailing list and can't seem to get my name removed from it.

Anonymous said...

Those guys have got MOVES.