Saturday, September 16, 2006

Ready ready ready

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIUlFfRJ4Y

OK, here’s the Dixie Chicks, another one up there for Maude. Sure, Iggy Pop Friday, Dixie Chicks today---our tastes range far and wide, and the Chicks are talented. We hate country music otherwise. This video is totally mom approved, and totally FUNNY to boot!

Dreaming: I dreamt we were getting married again, inviting the hundreds of people in the rolodex, including electricians, the pizza place.....

Back to glazes. Sure, I painted the garage Friday but first I mixed the glazes. Our basement is not a dungeon, but it is 141 years old, and not especially nice, and mixing glaze powders is very messy. Mike from NH called, as he was doing the same. Psychic connection, really. His basement is a little older, maybe 220 years old, and dirt floor and such, so ours is comparitively nice. Anyway, I told him he was nicer than me and we discussed light rutile vs. dark rutile and dark Spanish Red iron Oxide vs. red iron oxide....alright, boring to some of you.
I talked about my yellow Friday, and I just mixed some. Black copper oxide, for green tints, is a couple bucks a pound, really cheap. Cobalt oxide is very expensive, for the blues, and goes at least 30 bucks a pound. Welllll then there is my yellow powder. It is some secret oxide mix from Florida, and goes for 50 bucks a pound, the caviar of glaze ingredients. Speaking of which, the backbone of my glazes several years ago, gerstley borate, was pulled off the market. It had been a replacement for colemnite, pulled off the market when I was in college. So, what do you do? That spring of 2001 I reformulated remixed and rethought my glazes, with fantastic results, and I learned a lot. Add some of this for opacity, some of that for speckles, more of this other secret stuff to imprive the shine. It goes on.
Well, gerstley borate is under production again, although it was once about 5 bucks for 50 pounds, now it is about 50 or 60 bucks for 50 pounds, and so I can use some of the old glazes too.....
and I am off to watch football. Perhaps I have earned it. Friday was filthy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some people call them Thirsty Thursdays, maybe there should be Filthy Fridays?

Anonymous said...

Was that our friend Alan in the kilt?

Anonymous said...

I drove a red cobalt in Calgary. I was the only one who thought it funny.

Anonymous said...

THE KILT! That was what we said too. MacLeod plaid, no less. Wonder what is under there?