Sunday, January 21, 2007

Color theory and purple and Wasabi




Was reading a New Yorker article last night about color theory. Two or 3 important points here. There are professional color forecasters and designers who track trends and make colors for the design world. One person interviewed talked of her work for a paint company, the same company that provided the paint for our house, and her work on WASABI. Just as the 70s had avocado green, here in the mid-noughts, we have WASABI, a friendly light spring green with yellow in it, although not acid green, and by gosh, my purple house has WASABI accents and I didn't even know it! (the house was painted just before we bought it) Which introduces the next point, about monkeys and purple. Rhesus monkeys apparently have innate color preferences, as humans generally do, too. Blue, green, yellow, orange, red, in that order. I SAY: WHERE'S THE PURPLE? I love purple, but don't see it on the list. I live in a purple house, I am wearing a purple shirt now, I have a purple birthmark, my favorite glaze color is purple. But to explain further: I like red too, and have an awesome strawberry red glaze, an awesome buttery lemony yellow glaze, but all the rest of my glazes are cool greens and blues. Which according to the article AND THE MONKEYS is very au courant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The truly important question is what colour do pigs like?