Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Grateful Dead


You always wonder what your friends are gonna say when you bring up the Grateful Dead. Celeste rolls her eyes and says 'please', others simply raise their eyebrows, still others invite you in for a beer and open their cd archive of bootlegs. 'St Stephens' here in a TV performance from when I was...3. My favorite Dead tune is 'Fire on the Mountain', done here for 9 minutes with guest guitarist Santana. My little Dead story: I was a high school teacher in '94, and the SCHOOL had arranged a field trip for students to the Grateful Dead show at Boston Garden and asked me to lead it. So, me and 80 students went to see the Dead and Jerry Garcia died shortly thereafter......
(they did a whole half hour of 'Fire on the Mountain' alone.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So it was your fault Jerry died?

gary rith said...

Well, I think the timing was lucky: we had our last chance as it turns out. Jerry had his, ah, ahem, health problems.
You know, it occurs to me that when you say 'I am a vegetarian potter' everyone assumes you are also a deadhead. At least, that was the case 15-20 years ago.

Anonymous said...

Celeste rolls her eyes and says 'please', which is exactly what I was doing when I read that line.

Anonymous said...

I could listen to Truckin' for hours ....

Anonymous said...

What a long strange trip, gordo, its been.
I bet there are deadhead blogs out there. I am not going to look.