Monday, January 15, 2007

The Brown Betty Teapot



The most famous teapot on earth is the Brown Betty. It has a nice round shape, it is dark colored so it does not show tea stains, it is very friendly. I was over at Alan's house, and they had one, which is probably why he asked me once if I made brown mugs (I could...but I don't usually choose to).
Anyway, I like a nice fat, round teapot too.
This webpage and link features the original teapot and you can buy one. You don't want to buy one, but it has what I would call some mis-information. It says they are hand-made. They are not hand-made. They are mold-made in a factory, with people's hands pouring the mold and hand finishing the piece.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

And they don't have piggies!

Anonymous said...

You see, Gordo, that is my advantage.

Anonymous said...

Of course! Theie very name ties them to a colour, too. You have no such constraints.

Anonymous said...

Round is such a pleasing shape. I have read books about it.
The link here (HAHAHAHA!) says the English think the round shape makes better tea (HOHOHOHO!). Sure, that's the key.

Alan said...

I never knew that was a Brown Bettie. Brown Betty is a crumble to me.

Anonymous said...

Apple Brown Betty is a crumble. The Brown Betty is a teapot.

Anonymous said...

I think Gordo is on to something. We don't usually say crumble, we say 'crisp'.

Anonymous said...

I'm a tad unclear on the differences, if any, between Apple Brown Betty and Apple Crisp or Apple Crumble. I have a vague notion that it has somethign to do with the crust, but I can't dredge up the reference.