Wednesday, January 24, 2007

8 things


I would tag Celeste, but she doesn't have a blog and some people say she doesn't exist. GORDO YOU'RE IT! But read this first.
8 things about me, PLUS

A person sitting at home in front of the screen blogging away wonders what picture the world gets of himself. Folks told me quite a bit, generally what I expected in terms of what I project, and which I once told Celeste: what you see is what you get. I am ordinary, and this blog pretty much tells the story of my daily doings. I tell people I am a reclusive flake, which is part of it, and when people meet me they may be surprised I am more shy than they guessed, UNTIL they get to know me well. There are several nice bloggers who have met me and will agree, like Greg and Gordo and cm. Some folks said:

Lucia said:
OK, here go my speculations aka things I think I know...

You spend most of the day working while listening to music. Once in a while, you're inspired to do a blog post which you've thought of while working, and hop on over to the computer.

You're a very happily married guy.

You live in Ithaca.

You have store and individual customers who really like your stuff.

Your musical tastes tend toward not new.

You get a kick out of Gordo's comments.

You're the quintessential nice guy.

You're not a conformist so will take a meme tag and make it your own.
-----Lucia gives a very accurate view!
Gordo said:
You claim to be a "reclusive flake". But, you seem to be more of a socially conscious Democrat to me.
------um, well, read on
my anonymous wife said:
Dearest,
You can't do tedious things that bore you. Take a walking tour of Wales before you kick.
----she is totally right, and she wants to go to Wales
and Mags:
has decided that your blog reflects your life in its G-rated nature - that being of a kind, good citizen, animal loving, cartoon watching, ever the nice guy type.
----well, Mags, I watch football and hockey, don't really see any cartoons
and Jaysus, Mona, you make me blush, where is your credit card?
I think you're a very talented person, as every time I come to your blog, I want to buybuybuy all the stuff I see.

What I can do:
-throw pots, that is pretty much the whole list but--
-sculpt small animals (pigs and zebras! Plus about 18 more)
-make a tasty vegan baked ziti, and vegan stew, and as cm says, turn anything into a burrito
-groom the cat. He is fussy and prickly about it.
-Scrub the kitchen and bathroom. Not well, because who wants to be good at that?
-read a book a day
-wiggle my nostrils like a bunny. This sets me apart, I am special.
-I can do easy crosswords, like the NY Times Monday, sometimes Tuesday.

What I can't do:
-Remember things well. Don't know how that happened, I think I am extremely focused on art, to the exclusion of the rest of the world.
--grow tomatoes or other veggies or fruits or anything other than weeds. This year I GIVE UP.
-write neatly. My handwriting is awful.
-Speak another language. I had Greek and Spanish and forgot them both right away.
-can't eat dairy anymore.
-can't ski or skate. Oh well!
-can't see small print anymore. Oh well!
-can't dance. Sorry sweetie. Once again, oh well!

Things that scare me:
-Maybe I am, like Charlie Brown, scared of everything? Strangely, I am not scared of flying and love it, tiny cramped seats and crying babies and all the rest.
-People. Despite what Gordo says, I really have always had a hard time being with people or meeting others. Paralyzing shyness. That is why I value my friends and family a great deal.
-I am scared of German shepherds, dobermans, rottweilers, and pit bulls. Unless their owner goes out of their way to introduce them to me as friendly.
-Something happening to mi esposa (ok, I remember some Spanish, but I don't want to say the above in English)
-being in a little boat far from shore
-pond ice. I do not go out on winter ponds.
-lack of business. It hasn't ever been a problem, but it keeps me working hard!

8 things to do before I die:
-go to Wales
-ride a very slow and tame pony, then do it again and again and again
-get into the Smithsonian Show! The premier craft show of the US and maybe most of the world.
--Go to Ireland
-see my wife retire
-make a cat sculpture I really like. Why are they so hard to depict? Heck, humans are even harder, so them too.
-go to Scotland. I already have a bunch of postcards.
-The Lake District too.

8 random things:
-I have a red mountain bike that I love, and coincidentally a red backpack that matches
-I really like strong tasting coffee
-I prefer my wife and pets to just about anything on earth
-I ran the Chicago marathon two different years, coached cross country and track, and still exercise vigorously.
-I would really like a seaside vacation. We don't travel much.
-I have a lovely big purple birth mark on my head under my hair.
-Have I ever mentioned I live in a purple house?

and now for my own chapter,

THREE:

favorite albums:
-Talking Heads 'Remain in Light'
-B52s 'Wild Planet'
-'Van Halen'

Books:
-Annie Proulx 'The Shipping News'
-all of Robertson Davies' books
-just read Charles Frazier's 'Cold Mountain', unbelievable.

I believe:
-in my work
-in my family
-in my reading

3 intriguing colors:
-deep bluish purple
-celadon green
-rich strawberry red

3 pets:
-I have had 6 dogs
-2 cats
-3 bunnies
(no elephants, pigs or zebras though)

3 favorite pot shapes:
-round bowl
-friendly round teapot
-straight sided mug

3 place I have lived:
-Nebraska
-Chicago
-Vermont

3 Games I have played:
-football
-monopoly
-tennis

3 favorite magazines:
-the New Yorker
-Clay Times
Smithsonian

8 comments:

Lynnea said...

Well done! You're talents are many and the nose-wiggling, quite special.

By cartoon I meant to refer to flicks like Wallace and Grommit, Charlotte's Web, etc etc. Not the Saturday morning drivel they like to brainwash our kids on nowadays...

Anonymous said...

Of course I exist! I comment, don't I? What further proof is required?

gary rith said...

You're right, mags, as usual, Wallace and Gromit are my heroes!
Celeste, some say 'if you don't blog, you don't exist', and that thing you had on myspace didn't count because you never wrote anything.

Anonymous said...

Hrmm ... Tagged I am ... Should I be doing your version as well or just the 8?xy

Kelly said...

You forgot to mention that you want to travel to PA to meet me! LOL. I think I owe you and M a visit first. I wonder, would you be shy when you meet me? I doubt it. I love your purple house. Oh, I have a strawberry birthmark too (not purple any more--thank goodness because it's right between my eyes). When I cry or get very hot and sweaty it is more noticable. Gee, how did I make a post all about you, all about me.

Anonymous said...

Well, Gordo, inquiring minds wanna know, so do an extended version of some kind.
Well Sunny K....

Lucia said...

Oops...I just saw this post now. I did get a nice little chuckle about your wiggling your nose like a bunny while riding on that slow tame pony.

How many introverts do you think are in blogland? Probably lots and lots.

Anonymous said...

I wonder, Lucia, if I can ride that pony, wiggle my nostrils and eat an apple at the same time? Now that would be skill!