Saturday, January 20, 2007

FOLLY AND INCOMPETENCE!!!!



I know the theory of studio shots of artwork, and I have watched pros do their thing. I can arrange a good setup and such, as you see pictured here, in the happy moments before I realized how incompetent I am.
I need teapot slides. The studio has a nice skylight and there was plenty of light flooding the room, and I made a nice setup to get my shots, fiddled with the camera (the best a person could buy, around 30 years ago!) but I havn't used my wife's camera in years, and once the roll was shot I realized:
1) I had forgotten to take detail shots
2) I hadn't turned on the light meter
3) worst of all was when I was trying to rewind the film, and popped the thing open--yes, exposing the film....
so I went out and bought more film. Sigh. My wife is a pro, she can handle it. I like my digital camera, which is designed for the simple among us...
I hope Gordo reads this and has a good laugh.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL ... You made my morning, my friend.

I distinctly recall running out of film at a political event during my first year of college. Talk about poor planning.

Anonymous said...

Gordo, photography can be humbling...

Anonymous said...

Good heavens, yes! Any photographer who's claims to have never had a moment like that is either lying or hasn't been at it long enough.

Anonymous said...

The missus took a roll for me, no fuss, no problem, get it developed Monday, hopefully GOOD SLIDES.

Kelly said...

Hey, at least you had film in it!

The Internationalist said...

Ah yes, and then there is the lens cap!

Anonymous said...

There is a whole young generation out there who knows nothing of film, lens caps, exposures, developing. The photo place here looks like a ghost town--how long will they last?

Anonymous said...

Kodak pulled the plug on Kodachrome last year, didn't they? I used to think that there would always be a place for film, but given the quality and price-point of the latest digital cameras, I'm not so sure anymore.