Friday, June 20, 2008

piggies!


(typical piggy by Gary Rith)
OK, 20 years ago I worked in a large open studio which had classes and potters doing other things and the rest. One potter taught children classes in how to make a piggy bank. She threw the body, then the kids finished the ears and feet etc. They gave me the idea to also make a bottle shape into a piggy bank, and I sell hundreds of them every year, looking like this one, in different colors.
My pal Nancy Boyce at Thou Art Gallery in Groton, NY has asked me to try to teach a class, and I thought of the pig idea. Mine are usually pretty simple, as pictured here, but for students I would show them how to get nutty with their pigs, and so, look below at my first personal piggy innovations in years: googly eyes and eyebrows. (video and picture) Students could also add names, polka dots, wings etc...
July 8 for making and July 15 for glazing, 6:30-7:30 pm, for adults, 35 dollars comprehensive fee for instruction, pig body and materials and glaze, limited to ten people, and filling up fast...

3 comments:

Knight said...

I really love these pigs and the creative options. The next baby in my family is getting one for sure.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

How fantastic! But, I can't afford the fuel to travel all that way for the classes....

Phewy! I would love to bring my kiddos to put wings, eyes, and ears on their own personalized "Piggy" bank!

gary rith said...

I thought it was funny: I imagined this class for kids but the store owner said she and her friends wanted to do it, no kids allowed!