Wednesday, June 11, 2008

this is why I am a potter



(tea or coffee pot by Gary Rith)
You feel like you have an idea of what you want to do, but making it is like blind folding your eyes and shooting at a target--you'll know later if you got it, otherwise you are just messing around in the dark. I am an experimental potter, and some ideas I have work out better than others. But I really like bright and colorful and fun, and lately have esp. wanted to make things very dynamic too.
Some, like this gorgeous little pot, are right on--a reason to get up in the morning, a reason for living, better than chocolate: a really wonderful piece (if I may say so myself).

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that pot! 'Peers to me you used the speckly Jade glaze there. It sure looks good, love the "heffalump" and the little feet on the pot's bottom.

Hugs from the far side,
~ Sil

Gordo said...

Wow. I love the dribbles of blue over the green, too. :-)

gary rith said...

actually this is speckly celadon, I don't have any examples of jade yet (first batch firing), I will see, but thanks!

Unknown said...

Hmmmm, methinks me loves that speckly celadon glaze. And it is totally impossible, at least for me, to look at that wonderful pot without having to grin and thus start feeling even more wonderful than before! Just like that beautiful honey pot of yours that came a couple of days ago. Another smiler, just looking at it. You've got the touch, Gary! "The Pottery Guaranteed To Make You Smile?! That should be your motto.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the jade glaze!
This pot came out really nicely. When in doubt, add elephants? :)

gary rith said...

thanks!
not just an elephant: a happy elephant!

Reb said...

This is a wonderful colour combination Gary. I do really like your happy elephant!

g-man said...

A most interesting analogy. I do so appreciate your work.

Susan as Herself said...

I like those wonderful ripples up the sides. "Ribbed for my pleasure" indeed! HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Now that's classy, Gary!

Is the jade color that 'green' I so love??? The one you used on some mugs?

Ellen said...

Hmm, I think I need that speckledy celadon recipe. Whaddaya want for it?

And yes, that piece is totally awesome. I just LOVE what you are doing with the teapots and coffeepots with those handles and spouts.

I fired a glaze kiln today. Got a worded bowl in it so I am anxious about how it does.