Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Nekkid in Iceland

Picture shows all the stuff made
Monday. I had this hazelnut coffee from Ludgates http://www.ludgatefarms.com/ and it fuels the beast it is so wicked tasty, I can potter til I drop.
It occurs to me, sometimes, that all these complicated and experimental cups need to be balanced by plain cups--as plain as I get, take a look at those 2 bright and swirly finished cups on the table. Just straight sided, but with the pig or dog, swirly glaze, easy to make as falling off a log.
But that thing on the left is special. There is this monkey exhibit coming up next week (????) that I will tell you more about, but yes, I am rising to the occasion.
Dreaming last night: OOOOPH! Talk about public nekkidness. I was at a spa, hot springs place in Iceland and the natives all knew how to change (or did they just go nekkid?) before going in, but why did I end up in the gift shop with only my boots to cover myself and a lot of Icelanders hanging around looking at me?
No, I don’t make this stuff up.

3 comments:

Lucia said...

Nice shapes. I visited some potters in Cameroon a few weeks ago who export to Europe and the U.S. We talked a lot about shapes, counterbalancing the interesting ones with plainer ones. They were also having some challenges with porousity (is that a word?) with some of the straighter shapes. (For whatever reason, some Belgians had designed a straight-sided teapot, and there was seepage with this shape.) Anyway, I'm not a potter, but I do like the shapes. And I'll look forward to seeing what you do with the monkey.

Anonymous said...

I'll look forward to seeing what you do with the monkey

As will the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

It is MONKEYS actually, and a good story too, but not now.
Well, I can imagine two porousity situations. 1) maybe the clay and glaze are not as dense as they should be for cookware, and they are porous, as in, moisture seeps into the pot, the glaze doesn't seal properly but from what you describe, more likely
2) the shapes don't pour too well, as in they might drip, blob, flow poorly. A curved shape (rather than straight sided) is useful for flow, as it can help slow the liquid as it heads toward the spout.
cm, you got one of my teapots last week, how is it pouring?