Sunday, October 22, 2006

Let's talk inspiration

Lucia writes about her cute little corgi, who waits for her to return from traveling the world. That got me thinking. Until May we had 3 dogs, Petey on the left was oldest. We found him living on the streets of Chicago in 93, and the vet guessed he was 6. He was tiny, probably a corgi -dachschund mix, with bloody marks on his face from fighting, and he ducked fearfully,at first, when you reached to pet him. He was no scaredey cat though, but a fierce dog when he had to be, and in our walks over the years, saw him defend himself from an Akita attack, also a pit bull and 2 different German shepherds. Anyway, he lived to be nearly 19 and he was a heck of a dog and I miss him terribly. He also spent his every waking moments at my side, sleeping too, and when he died, Jack, our 11 year old lab on the right, started following me around in his place. For a work at home guy, these are my loyal co-workers, but oh, so much more. I model every dog on every cup or bowl on the dog lying at my feet. I don't own a pig or frog or bunny either, and certainly not an elephant, but the dog sits in for them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so now I'm imagining Jack in bunny ears and Buster with a trunk.

Anonymous said...

Jack has worn a cap, and Petey used to have a toddler's turtleneck to wear in cold weather, later a cute little red coat he lost in the snow one Christmas, and finally a little purple coat. But, no, the black dogs don't really go for dress up or costume.

Anonymous said...

cm, don't forget Jack as a giraffe--just elongate the neck!

Lucia said...

Petey looks like he was a smart little guy. When I lived in Chicago, there were always these dog packs in some neighborhoods, and they sort of scared me. Sounds like he had a street life and you gave him a comfy home. He lived a long time! My last corgi lived until 18, so there must be a longevity line in the breed.

There are many days I'd prefer my dog to be my co-worker! (Although he's sleeping on my feet right now and making them fall asleep.)

Anonymous said...

Petey was special. The boss of this crew of dogs, too, both of whom are much bigger. And he was snuggly, especially when it was cold.
Man, corgis are just the cutest. Do you know the illustrator Tasha Tudor? She writes books, and illustrates them, with her little pack of corgis at corgi cottage in Vermont. I will do a special on her tomorrow. I wonder, Lucia, who watches your dog when you are away? I am sure you make good plans and miss each other.