Monday, April 09, 2007

Sammy: 1990-2007






(recent photos of Sammy, Mr Potsblog too, and Sammy's pudgy little sister Emily)
Sammy was an abandoned kitten found in a box on a cold winter morning in Chicago.
Sammy chose ME by jumping into my lap and purring, both times I visted the shelter.
Sammy was my bachelor cat.
Sammy threw up on my (soon to be) wife's skirt the first time he met her.
Sammy traveled around the US. He did not enjoy travel much.
Sammy slept next to me at night, including last night, his final night on earth.
Sammy nursed me through a million ailments, lying by my side and purring. You could say he saved my life.
Sammy caught 55 mice in his lifetime, that I know of.
Sammy was handsome and loving and a heck of a jumper, and his little sister who always had him near, and me who loved him so much, miss him.
Thanks Sammy.

I could swear the fluffy cloud overhead just after he passed was Sammy shaped, and bigger than a football field.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will miss him in so many ways

Lucia said...

I'm so sorry. And sad. He sounds like a great cat.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Sammy. Glad we had the pleasure of meeting him. He was a beautiful cat! Know the void that losing an old friend can leave. Hope you are comforted by the fact that he had a full and awesome life with you, Maude and the brood.

Gordo said...

Oh, Gary. I'm so sorry.

Ellen said...

I am so sorry, Gary. We are cat lovers here, and we understand. Thank you for giving Sammy a warm, wonderful life.

from Ellen the lurker potter, and her family

Mother of Invention said...

Aw..poor old Sammy and poor Gary...you guys sound like the best of buds...and that you both added a great deal to each other's lives. You gave him the best home.

Anonymous said...

thanks

Anonymous said...

Hugs all 'round.

Anonymous said...

I am glad some of you met him--a cat even non-cat lovers like my parents could like!

Alan said...

I lack the direct cat love you have but our recent departure even left a grouch like me affected. Sad to hear about your loss but 17 years is a good run, more than twice the span our guy got to have.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, he had a loooong life. Maybe 100 cat years?

Anonymous said...

I was reading yesterday about sammy still not doing well my friend. At at the time is saddened me enough that I couldn't think of anything to post. And now, today I find he has gone on his way. I am very very sorry for his passing. Like others have said, though I have only known Sammy through here - it affects me deeply. I know he had a long and happy life with a family that loved and will always love his memory. He will always live on.

meno said...

Oh i am so sorry about your beautiful kitty. Damn those pets! We do become attached. I saw the memorial plaque you are making above. What a great idea.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Sorry to hear about Sammy. He sounded like a nice cat. 17 is really good though!

I had two (bachelorette) cats who both dies about 10 years ago and I still think about them, despite a houseful of new ones.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for pics of the band New Order and came upon your website. Just found your post about Sammy. That is just so cool.. he had a good long life and was loved. We have 4 cats here and I dread the day I will have to say goodbye any of them.

Cats have a way of becoming family.