Thursday, April 26, 2007

life is just a chair of bowlies






(Gary's messy life)
OK, on the one hand, weather is good. It would be fun to start painting the ugly old picnic chairs. Purple of course. Despite my incompetence, a little weeding has to be done sometime. A lot of weeding. I need to plug spots around the house that allow little varmints to enter. And most importantly, I am 99 percent OUT of glazes. Mixing glaze requires a day in the basement getting filthy with bags of various powders and my secret glaze recipes. I HAVE to do that, very soon.
But then I think 'hey, make a rack of bowls, glaze them brown, you have plenty of brown glaze remaining'.
The path of least resistance.

8 comments:

Gordo said...

Give the choice of making brown pots so I could get outside sooner or spending a day mucking with messy stuff, I think I'd choose the brown pots, too. Mind you, messy is good as well. :-D

gary rith said...

well, some of both Gord....

Anonymous said...

you do wear a suitable particulate mask while you are "in the basement getting filthy with bags of various powders" don't you? Silca powder is very harmful to nice people. I like my friends to live long lives.

gary rith said...

Actually, I do. Up until our move last year, glaze mixing was also done OUTSIDE only. Hard to beat a mask and natural ventilation. Now that I mix downstairs I like doing so in nice weather, so the door is open and all.
I am more careful than many potters, but one can't be too careful.

Ellen said...

Damn, I can't tell a THING about that purple glaze from the picture labeled 'future glaze'.

gary rith said...

Alright Ellen, you got me: sure, there is silica in that purple glaze, true enough! Oh, and 15 more ingredients too....

Anonymous said...

Purple glaze, all through my brain, lately things - they don't seem so plain - got my money, and I want to buy, 'scuz me, while my tea pot dries.

Anonymous said...

Oh, BR, brilliant....