Thursday, April 26, 2007

pictures from an afternoon: the incompetent gardener speaks





(pots by Gary Rith, Jack and Emily)
I can understand why people hire gardeners. I have no idea how to garden, and I am indifferent to the act of gardening. I like a nice looking garden though. So, from time to time, I plant something, other times I weed something. I do not have the deep seated gardening instinct some people have, I guess because all my creative energy goes into pots. BUT, I like a nice looking garden, as I say, and 12 months into living here I know this nice looking green plant, which is EVERYWHERE, and has sweet little yellow flowers for about a week, turns into this monster plant, which stings when you try to pull it out in July. SO, Gary's 2007 garden plan: this weed is unwelcome. I made bowls for awhile today, but the door was open and so, out I went.

5 comments:

Gordo said...

That wagon speaks volumes, Gary. :-)

Anonymous said...

That wagon was FULL when I finished. There are weeds everywhere though............

Anonymous said...

OOOO a radio flyer!! very cool! was just telling gordo that bulbs the GF planted on New Year's Day this year are sprouting nicely...

gary rith said...

there's this little red squirrel I have been doing battle with.....

Anonymous said...

Borrow who's-it's slingshot. (Gorthos'? Gordo's? I get them mixed up sometimes.)
(Which reminds me of my father, when I told him about the great pigeon war of '05. "Why don't you just shoot them?" he asked. "Well," I said, "they kinda frown on guns in the city.")