Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Letter to farmer's wife, because they are interesting questions

Farmer's wife asks if the cats are tired of being photographed AND WHY does a bowl which is glazed in something that looks green turn red in the firing?

Dear FW: I think I remember you have a science back ground so here you go:
for some reason, when tin oxide (which is white) and a little bit of chrome oxide (green), are both added to a glaze base in powder form, and then are melted together over 2000 degrees they react and become RED. A nice strawberry red glaze. As for the cats, I have noticed they grimace when they see me coming with the camera, because they don't like the flash!

Right now the cats want their midday TUNA.

3 comments:

Lynda said...

"More than pigs on pots" - I love that! You really crack me up.

gary rith said...

I am half thinking about 'Not just pigs on pots' too.

Susan as Herself said...

You definintely have pigs on pots and more!!!!!!!!!!!!