Saturday, August 16, 2008

Political intimidation: not just for banana republics and Russians


We live on a major road with hundreds of cars and trucks passing each day. Maybe even thousands. The last two years I have posted democratic candidates' signs all over my yard--maybe 6-7 last year. I picked up a newspaper one day and our house was pictured, marking the beginning of campaign season!
A couple of years ago, the Hillary sign in our neighbors front yard was flattened when a car left the road, drove across their yard and took it out. Last year their candidate signs and ours were stolen by a guy in a pickup working for the republican party. I suppose he could have been working for the green party, but seems unlikely.
I wrote essays to the newspaper which were printed, saying if I had gotten the plate number I would have called the sheriff for trespassing.
While Ithaca, which may be the most progressive town in the US, is a few miles to our west, there are hundreds of miles of rural hills and valleys in every other direction. I guess there might be a few rednecks and republicans out that way, who drive along our road.
Truthfully? I want to put up Obama signs in the yard but I wonder what might happen.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

why not do it? see what happens and report back.

J said...

Heck, Gary, if Mr. Redneck Republican didn't like that you had 6 signs in your yard last year, you almost have to put up 12 this year. And if he takes those as well, next time its 24.

Anonymous said...

Politics can be a really scary subject to discuss.

Anonymous said...

It was the local political campaign signs that were stolen in our little town (also on a road like yours). I can't recall if the Dems were blaming the thieving Republicans, or the Republicans blaming the thieving Dems.
I figure whoever does stuff like that is just a plain ol' thief.
Ever think it was bored teenagers? You know, the kind who whack mailboxes with baseball bats and smash pumpkins? Makes sense to me. It's the same sort of thing, and teens these days are getting pretty outspoken about their political alliances. Just sayin'.

Me, I don't put any signs out (not even school bond issues). I'd rather have flowers in my yard.

Anonymous said...

Etna is a small town, and the republicans can be difficult at times. Stil, put your sings out. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah - go ahead and put 'em out, Gary. Let's see what happens.

gary rith said...

I just saw a neighbor up the road who is an electrician and whose house is, um, somewhat rough looking, has a new Obama sign up. Glad to see it and makes it easier for me to do the same.
KC--could have been teens, except I saw the dude, it wasn't a teen, and ONLY democratic signs were nabbed on our road. I didn't get the plate nuber. Of course, democrats swept the ticket that day...

Unknown said...

Tsk! Such childish stunts! Got any friends in the police dept.? But wouldn't you expect (hope for?) better than stealing political signs?

Anonymous said...

I say, put up the sign and be ready to jot down the plates.

We've never put signs in our yard, other than for local elections. But I'd be willing to stake an Obama sign in our yard, if only to bug our Conservative Christian neighbors. Heh!