Sunday, August 31, 2008

NEAR BEER: a regular guy review


I drink very little but enjoy what I drink. So, yesterday, awesome date that I am, I take the wife shopping for handbags. I know. First an action and adventure movie, then shopping! Then SHE rewards me with a barstool. What a heavenly day.
You know, I had my pint, but it was too early to leave, because of FOOTBALL ON THE TV. Watching Utah (HARHAR!) kick Michigan butt. So I saw Kaliber NA, made by Guinness. Beer without alcohol on the menu, and asked one of the numerous and cheerful barmaids for one. Nobody there had ever had one, so I was reviewing this for the whole bar! Little ole me! And what did I tell those assembled?
"It's cold, it looks like beer, it has foam like beer, and it is golden yellow like beer, and it tastes a lot like beer!". Everybody at the bar was happy. Me too.
(this, as with eveything I write here, is TRUE--I really did have to do a taste test for the assembled).
The missus had some too, there was much happiness, and Michigan lost. I say that, just because it was an interesting matchup and loss for them, at home.
The beer? As I say, it tasted a lot like beer, which is always a stretch for fake beers, so it gets a 5.5-6 out of 10 thumbs up, which is very high praise for this type of stuff.

3 comments:

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Near Beer? Nope, can't do that one. I gotta get some good alcoholic fermentation for my 100-150 calories!

No empty calories for me! LOL!!! Sounds like y'all had a great da[te]y!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it is wise man who takes his wife to a smashup movie and then handbag shopping, but MAYBE it is an even WISER woman who then takes her husband to a bar for beers and football.

Anonymous said...

I suppose that Guinness wouldn't market a bad near-beer. My dh likes O'Doul's Amber.

But I am ESPECIALLY pleased to know Michigan lost. I've never been a Michigan fan, and they have been known to beat the teams I love. Even in the Rose Bowl. And that's just WRONG.