Sunday, December 30, 2007

NO TV and a boot in the kiln



(mugs by Gary Rith)

There is no TV in our house and we watch movies on a little portable dvd player. But, there was the Patriots and Giants on TV last night, I am catsitting a neighbor's cats, and it turns out they have a huge new flat screen TV. As much as I miss football and hockey on TV, has anyone noticed how many annoying ads there are? Actually, EVERYBODY and EVERYTHING on TV is annoying. Anyway, most excellent game and now the Patriots move on to another Super Bowl.
There is a whole boatload of football on TV today at the cat's house, but I think I will give it a pass and go back to my TVless existance.
My usual working kiln, a medium-large electric with a computer firing panel, broke down a week ago and I am waiting for parts. Luckily, I had finished all my Christmas orders the days before, so it is not bad to have a slow week. I have used the baby kiln. It easily fires to 2200 degrees as needed, but as I have said and now prove, it only holds a few things, is big enough to only hold a boot. Not even a large boot.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When did you decide to go TVless, Gary? I had a hunch you guys didn't have one.

Jim said the 1st half of the game was pretty good, he likes both teams, but was rooting for the giants last night. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

the first half was excellent, but the Giants lost steam in the 2nd--a game to be proud of

we gave up the TV 2 years ago--I guess I spend the time BLOGGING, har!

Ellen said...

I never watch TV either, though we do have one. It is used mainly for video games and DVD watching....

Wow, those are some nasty looking kiln shelves! THANK YOU for posting the picture of them. Makes me feel MUCH better about mine! haha!

Anonymous said...

my kiln shelves are quite gloppy, thanks, I sometimes chip some of the old glaze etc. off, but usually just kiln wash more on top

Ellen said...

I think that will be my plan from now on. I tried chipping off the glaze drips and re-washing the shelves, and it RUINED them. The new wash cracked and would not stick and it is STILL a huge mess. Ruined a few nice pots by sticking to the bottoms, etc. I think I will try lightly scraping, then washing, and I will only chip the drips in extreme cases. Do you mix your own wash? I have a couple recipes and I am thinking I will try them to see if I can find one that doesn't flake better than the commercial one I bought.

gary rith said...

half silica, half kaolin!