Tuesday, December 11, 2007

helping out Virginia and accumulating GOOD karma

"Uh oh, I get the feeling you're a real person (Virginia), and not an old friend joking around. I apologize. We are all a bunch of goofballs at pottersblog, and I know my friends like to tease me. And I tease them. I think you're real, so let me see what I can do.

I don't share my glaze recipes, they really are my own and secret. There was a man with a yellow glaze named Otto Heino 3-4 years ago who was offered 500 thousand dollars for his yellow glaze recipe, and he refused. I would give out my recipes for half a million, if somebody offered (nobody has recently).

OK, what you can do. I bet you have a good recipe for a cone 6 white, or a premixed batch. The glaze we are talking about is a pale greenish-grayish-bluish color. If you added 1-2 percent of a mason stain like dark spruce or sea green, you would have something close to my glaze. If you do not have mason stains, you can use 1/2-1 percent black copper oxide. Try a test before you use it on a favorite pot. If you do not have a white glaze recipe and only clear glaze, do as above but also add 3 percent zinc oxide and also 3 percent tin oxide with either the mason stain or copper.

Further, here is a link about glaze mixing. At the bottom is a recipe which is simple and will work as a base, and even has instructions.

So, I have given you enough info, I think, to quickly make a batch, is that alright?

Good luck, Gary "

Now Ellen, you're my friend and you every right to pull sneaky tricks on me. All my friends and relatives pull sneaky tricks on me, it is par for the course. My red glaze is derived from a popular red, and I will try to find an article in the public domain for you.

7 comments:

Ellen said...

My problem with the raspberry red is not so much the recipe...I have several...they just don't turn out red! I have one that turns out gray, and one that is a nasty green. I am wondering if my Ohaus scale is off. I will admit as well, that when I was working on my degree, glaze theory was my LEAST favorite class.....

gary rith said...

thick coating Ellen, very thick

Ellen said...

I will try again...with a thicker coat. :)

Gordo said...

Gary, you forgot to ask the young ladies for pictures of her plate!

gary rith said...

I think I have scared everyone away with my crazy and manic personality

cm said...

Gordo, that almost sounds dirty.

Anonymous said...

I'm here.. late... but here and awaitin' pics! :D