Wednesday, June 27, 2007

uh oh: pottery emergency




(purple shark mug by Gary Rith)
When I was first trying to make a purple glaze, I started seperately with 2 different recipes, each with about 8 items in it. The 2 different glazes looked OK, but not great. So, I did something very unscientific, and dumped the 2 buckets together. The result was my gorgeous purple glaze, which I call grape. It is very consistent every time I mix it, but uses a lot of ingredients. That includes my most secret ingredient, at 50 bucks a pound, d???? red stain.
So, many of my glazes contain a small amount of t??????? d?????? which gives them their sparkly, speckly appearance and increases the melt a bit. I have dozens of bags of ingredients, but down to my last scraps of t????? d????? Enough for 3 more mixes, leaving 3 undone for now. I made an emergency call to Sheffield pottery, and the box is on its way.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

is it time for the Mastercard ad.."when it's just gotta be there.." =)

nice colour btw!

Gordo said...

Grape glaze? Priceless.

gary rith said...

Although some people call it blueish...

Susan as Herself said...

All artists have secrets.

I'd like to see a fruit bowl with grape bunches as handles---using the grape color glaze, of course... ;)

Anonymous said...

but is it organic?

Anonymous said...

Love Susan's idea! I've got a passion for purple grape items.

And Gary...could your area stop sending all these horrible thunderstorms! Knocked us out of power last night. More expected today, then the cool front will arrive from Canada, thank goodness!

Mother of Invention said...

Hey, you look good in Grape tights! HA!