Wednesday, June 06, 2007

the beer writer strikes again


Sure, I moonlight, and have even gotten free beers to review for beer blog. This baby may be the best I have ever tasted, worth flying to Amsterdam for.

Well, the dog ate my notes...really!...but this brew is easy to remember. Once again, we review a Dutch beer, Christoffel Robertus. There are lagers in this world, and then there are lagers. There is an amber lager made in very small batches that I like by Wagner Valley of Lodi, NY - see my review of last June - and then there is stuff like Miller. It is like comparing a puddle of mud to champagne. Sure, they are both wet, but I would rather drink the champagne. So it is with Robertus. In a blind test it tastes very ale-like to me, malty, dark red color, a very dense and thick and cloudy beer. Absolutely no hint of lager to my palatte, Robertus is a cousin to the American amber lager, but the fermentation process provides a spectacular polish and taste to this beer. With their blond reviewed 2 months ago, Christoffel may make my favorite beers in the world. Well, I like this one better than the blond, so maybe it is my favorite.

5 comments:

Mother of Invention said...

I don't drink beer but had Amstal and Heinnekin a long time ago and liked them.

Lucia said...

Remind me next time a travel to a beer brewin' country to ask you for recommendations. That way, I wouldn't waste any time in Belgium or wherever with substandard beers. Betcha don't get Tusker through the beer blog review pipeline!

Lucia said...

I really outta learn to proof...

Remind me the next time I travel...

Lucia said...

Oughtta...oughtta...I'm losing my mind.

gary rith said...

innie? outtie?