Monday, June 04, 2007

June 1987


(Gary Rith at Bennington, age 21)
To make a long story short, I didn't like high school much but started taking college classes my junior year, and didn't end up finishing my junior year but enrolled in college full-time. (I have not finished high school quite yet....) In some ways I was ready for college, in others had much to learn, but looking back, that is true for everybody. So, I was 16 when I started classes, 17 when I left home and enrolled full-time. So, in 1983 I thought I would study painting (har har har!) but luckily saw what was going on in the pottery studio here: I saw throwing on the wheel, and a kiln being unloaded...
OK, so four years of fun and games and clay pass, I am never arrested, pass all my classes, develop no addictions and father no children and VOILA!!! June 1987 I have a BA in art, concentrating in ceramics and architecture, and a job at minimum wage (3 bucks and change an hour!!!) teaching pre-school.

6 comments:

Gordo said...

No addictions? How sad.

What about your addiction to playing with dirt?

gary rith said...

How does the song go? 'you might as well say it,you're addicted to love....'

meno said...

Love the hair.

gary rith said...

and in 97 the monster mustache!!!!

Anonymous said...

Minimum wage, yeah, but you saved a little on haircuts,love.

Anonymous said...

I still save money on haircuts.