Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Spirit and Kitsch: special project, and the baby kiln



(mugs by Gary Rith and the baby kiln)
I have 3 kilns. My first is the size of a trash can, and holds several items and has two ordinary power cords and runs off ordinary electric power, like a toaster that uses two cords to reach 2200 degrees f. My usual kiln is computer run and quite big and holds dozens of small, medium, large items. It runs off 220 current and has a massive cord. Then there is the baby kiln. Holds mybe 4-5 items in an interior the size of a large bucket. Perfect for a quick little job. It has one cord, like any toaster, but the toaster that could: it also goes up to 2200 degrees f.
So, special project for the Spirit and Kitsch art garage coop, experimental mugs getting glazed here, red on the inside, clear/white outside.

3 comments:

Gordo said...

Very cool, Gary. I love the shape of those mugs.

gary rith said...

you probably need one with 'cruachan!' on the side

Anonymous said...

it's so nice when one has the proper tools to do what is needed. It so helps with time and such. pottery is so beyond me, it always amazes me what you can produce with it.