Tuesday, June 26, 2007

the joy of glaze mixing


So, messing around down in the dank and cool basement (62 degrees compared to 92 outside!), and I am now a fine tuned machine. The new batches are clean and silky mixes. I have a hose and the yard just outside, so I can make a mix, hose off the equipment, go in and make another batch. Excellent.
BUT, nothing is more fun than trying new glazes, esp. ones you feel have a high probability of working. I have toyed with the idea of a new bright blue glaze, and just mixed an experimental bucket. If it doesn't look good, I can add some ??????? or some ???????. It is based on my ?????????? glaze, and I decided to simply add either ????????? or ??????????? but settled on plain old cobalt oxide. I had a potter friend say once 'I don't want to be the guy who makes the blue cup', implying that every potter makes blue cups and it is banal, but I love blue and blue cups! So, not counting my glazes which have a little blue in them, I have: baby blue, blue jeans, and slate blue. The new one will be called bright blue. All my recipes, designed by me and kept locked in a safe (really!). I will experiment with it on a piece later this week and we'll see how it looks.

8 comments:

Susan as Herself said...

Wow---the blue of that hummingbird is stunning---if you can mix that it'd be spectacular!

gary rith said...

We shall see, eh?

cm said...

Rockin' robin

Anonymous said...

BLUEBIRD here.

Anonymous said...

And a nice 'blue' it is, Gary. Even if it's not green! :)

Anonymous said...

NO, not green, but I may be misleading the readers. The mix I am trying should be a darkish, shiny cobalt blue, headed toward navy blue?

Gordo said...

Are you kidding, Gary? Imagine a cupboard full of cups thos colour of that bird? Wow.

gary rith said...

Of course. But I was merely being illustrative, using a bluebird...