Monday, June 25, 2007

nasty bits, part one





(Gary's basement, empty bucket, kiln full of pots awaiting glaze)
90 something today, wicked scorching hot. Time to finally finally finally mix glazes, which I have talked of for months. They all need to be mixed. I have about 14 glazes, each has between 5 and 16 powdered ingredients to be measured and mixed. The basement is this old ugly stone place, dating back to when this was built as a log cabin in 1865. It does have a concrete floor and it is dry, just very cool and damp and dirty. Maybe 30 degrees cooler than outside....So, in the studio just to the left of the kilns is a trap door leading down, and all the ingredients, clay and a work table just for this job are down there.
(to be cont.)

4 comments:

cm said...

I was going to ask why wait for such a stinking hot day to do it, but then I got to the bit about the temperature differential and it all made sense. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

such motivation and on a Monday too! wow! =)

gary rith said...

Ugh. I wouldn't mind moving into the basement.

Gordo said...

We're beautifying our basement this week. Well, part of it, anyway. Stay tuned to my brain ...