Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mr Potsblog: beer reviewer and regular guy



So Mona asks me about beer reviewing. In the last three years I have tasted and reviewed over 2 dozen beers for a good beer blog and did a tasting last night of Anderson Valley Brewing's Amber Ale, pictured at top. I will post the review below, it hasn't been posted at beer blog yet, but will be later today. If you look at beer blog and use the search with my name, you will find those incompetent reviews in abundance. You say 'hey, what's in it for him??????' other than the glory of posting for beer blog, for example, yesterday a box arrived from Amsterdam. An assortment of Dutch microbrews for me to try. Free. Free Free Free FREE BEER! From HOLLAND! It cost them about 60 bucks just to ship it here. Life is grand. (lower picture)

Boont Amber Ale by Anderson Valley brewing of California, review by Gary Rith

I bought this beer because there is a cute little bear with antlers on the bottle. No surprise in a California beer, but life is better with a little humor, right? I did the smart thing and poured my wife a big glass of her favorite wine, so I wouldn't have to share. Her comments are helpful, but I want this stuff all to myself.
So, this regular guy pops the cap and pours the ale. You have a nice deep red/amber color and a nice foamy head. It settles, and you have a beer with not too much fizz, nor too little. The first sip gives you a malty look, with almost hidden hops, and I said 'aha! a sweet brown ale in disguise!'. (full disclosure: I love brown ales, what regular guy doesn't?) But it is much more than that, second and further sips make you ask 'was that citrus? apricot even????'
I am constantly seeking a favorite all around beer, something like Southern Tier's Matt and Finn's Extraordinary Ale, or Ithaca Brewing's Brown Ale, but this amber ale in the goofy bottle with the antlered bear may be IT. As a matter of fact, this could be the beer I reach for when entertaining my regular guy friends--I don't care if you're a snob or have simple beer tastes, this is a fantastic brew, and beer advocate agrees.

24 comments:

Mona Buonanotte said...

I want a job reviewing beer! If they need a girl's opinion, a girl who loves a good IPA and wouldn't mind sipping her way through a bathtub full of Guinness, let me know!

Lynnea said...

Not only do I want to try that beer, but that was entertaining - ever so funny.

Mother of Invention said...

Next time you're in Ontario, try Sleeman's or Creemore Springs! Highly rated by my husband.(I hate beer!)

gary rith said...

as a matter of fact, we shall be in Ontario April 7 for a little blog get together, in Kingston--11:45 April 7, Kingston brew pub--ya'll are welcome, but nobody is offering free beers.
If you look at my other reviews from the past, I think they are even funnier, but there are some killjoys who visit beer blog who prefer a serious review--fork that!

Gordo said...

You bought a beer from a company that espouses genetic engineering? For shame, Gary ... ;-)

gary rith said...

I know, they crossed a jackalope with a grizzly.

Gordo said...

That's just wrong ... LOL

We'll have to send a few bottles of the home brew back with ya ... :-D

gary rith said...

why do you think, my very good friend, that we are traveling up that week?

Gordo said...

Well, in that case ... I'll make sure that there's some left .. :-D

gary rith said...

I realize that there is only so much, plus Grego gets thirsty too.

Lucia said...

Hey, normal-guy-who-buys-beer-cuz-of the-fuzzy-critter-graphics, any chance you want to share that Dutch microbrew with the rest of us? It'd probably cost ya only a few bucks, now that it's here in the States and all... Anybody else up for a brew? Mona? Maggie? Gordo?

Lucia said...

What's that Gary? You said you're giving it away?

Anonymous said...

now now Lucia, Gary is happily married. He just doesn't GIVE it away!

Gordo said...

I would like to point out to anyone reading this that I did not make that comment!

gary rith said...

If you people had read the above review CAREFULLY you would have noticed that I don't even give it away free to my wife, she got wine!
And didn't anybody notice the cool new color scheme?

Lynnea said...

Listen to him Lucia, after all we do for him. Not wanting to share...I bet he didn't play nice in the sandbox either! His poor wife.

But the colors look good.

gary rith said...

Thank you Mags, and if any of you happen to travel to Kingston, ONT, our little blogger convention April 7, which happens to be the day before my birthday, you can buy ME a beer. HA!

Lucia said...

Huh! (I'm crossing my arms and turning away, with my nose in the air, just in case you can't read all that into my huh!)

Lucia said...

OK, I'm going to play with Maggie and Mona now. Gordo is anti-bunny and Greg, well, ya know, with the comment like that, who is gonna play with ya?

Lynnea said...

Lucia, you can come play with us. We're fun and we know how to share!

On a more literal note though, what if we met and I had to face the fact that you don't go around with a pile of fruit on your head all the time? Just that thought that comes to me now and then. You're like an enigma now you know.

Gary, buy you a beer? You? Well, ok if I was able to come I would buy you a beer because its a rule that noone is supposed to buy their own drinks on their birthday!

gary rith said...

Lucia, ignore those boys, I do.
I am in favor of a general birthday season for me, with plenty of beers given to me before and after my birthday.

Gordo said...

Lucia, I'm trying to be nice. I'm not anti-bunny at all. I just like them in a different fashion from our gracious host. :-)

Alan said...

I posted your review and bottled my own porter.

Mother of Invention said...

Can't think of a better place to celebrate your B-day but in Ontari-ari-ari-o! I'll toast you with a Creemore! Wait..I hate beer....