Monday, September 08, 2008

what do your Converse Chuck Taylor's say about you????


I put on my black Chuck Taylor low tops yesterday, but my mother-in-law had given them to me a couple of years ago, so I am not neccessarily a black low top guy. You see, I think that having Chucks tells one thing about you, but the color and high vs. low tells you the most about a person. I found these black hightops along the highway, believe it not, we stopped the car by the airport and got one, then a mile further, got the other. They were clean and never worn, and my size, but I am not a Chuck black high top. That suggests, I think, more of a type A personality.
I am, by choice and temperment, Converse Chuck Taylor white low tops. I have two pairs at least 16 years old. They are SO OLD THEY SAY MADE IN USA. My grandfather had worked in the Converse factory until he was in his 70s. He was a tiny little Welshman who hadn't been to school, but he spent his whole life reading books, and making Chuck Taylors in Massachusetts. He taught my mom to love books, and through her, I love books too.
Anyway, white low tops, in my mind, suggest a laid back, creative type of guy.
Mellow and friendly in a quiet way.
My friend Aara was over yesterday, and she has purple low tops, and she is a VERY purple low top person.
Any opinons on all this?

18 comments:

Mona Buonanotte said...

I long for a pair of black hi-top Chucks. In reality, I'm more a low-top person.

gary rith said...

I think you are too, Mona.

Giggles said...

Shoes tell everything about the man. My son in law has a collection of all different colors of chucks from years past, plus those black ones! Now he wears more of a slip on runner, more like a deck shoe and pointed dress shoe. But we won't part with the chucks ever! My daughter has, every color and pattern under the sun, also won't part with hers. They call them their concert shoes. My sil is a musician and fashion forward in an independent way! My daughter is a business woman, loves fashion, and has a very arty side. I despise runners except colored chucks, which I always bought for my daughter when she was little. But no runners for me thanks....no white ones in our house either!

Very cool story about your grandpa!

Peace Giggles

Anonymous said...

Gary, I think you'd get along with my husband. While it's usually just gloves (why only the left-hand ones???), he also finds wonderful things along life's way. Once he even found a beer! I am not kidding. He took it home, popped it open, and drank it. Another time I was with him and there was a small vase with a few flowers, just sitting there in the middle of the road at an intersection. We kept looking around for anyone at all. It was such a Candid Camera kind of thing. After a few minutes we picked them up and took them with us to Grandma's house for Easter!

Sorry, no one is artsy here. No converse, either.
But I still like the story of your grandfather. A man who can read has the whole world opened to him.

gary rith said...

See, like a I say---a closet of Chuck's means something too: what exactly?

gary rith said...

Thanks KC---(I sould clarify--he was my great-grandfather)he was just an immigrant who worked hard and boosted up his daughter, that's for sure. The American dream, books and a job making shoes!

Fortune Cookies said...

I've always been a purple and hot pink high tops kind of gal, but I can dig the white lows too, they're good comfy shoes for when I'm painting.

Anonymous said...

hmmm I've NEVER owned a pair... what does that say about me?? :(

Now where do I get a good pair (16yrs wow!)

Tracy Helgeson said...

I am a black, low top, converse kind of girl. Alas, I can't wear mine anymore because they really hurt my old feet. I wish they had a bit more support inside....

My son, who you met, has a pair of white high tops that he drew all over on with marker and he is the envy of everyone in his school:) A few girls even bought their own and have convinced him to draw on theirs too.

Gordo said...

I wonder what it says about me that I've only ever owned a pair of knock-offs (Coke branded, red high-tops) and don't think the real things are worth the money?

gary rith said...

They are horrible to walk in, and not very well made anymore!
Tracy, I REMEMBER! And FC--no surprises there!

Newt said...

Mine are low tops in a soft yellow with daisies and ladybugs on them.

Knight said...

I have no idea what you are talking about. Those shoes don't have leather or heels. How do you walk in them?

gary rith said...

See, aren't we learning a lot about everybody?????

Anonymous said...

Well now I feel better about not having a pair of those cool shoes. No support? Horrible to walk in?
Plantar fasciitis anyone?

gary rith said...

Oh CHERI!

Jeanette K. said...

I agree that they can say a lot about someone, especially if someone is wearing a crazy design... I found a whole bunch of special edition chucks and blogged about it here: http://tacticalpants.com/blog/tactical-chucks-10-sweet-chuck-taylor-designs/ Check it out :)

Anonymous said...

I where dark purple (Gothic Grape) low-tops and I am a boy! Kind-of odd, but I am creative and not made fun of for them. I love color & so I decided to get the ones I really wanted (the purple ones) :)