Monday, September 08, 2008
my stinking kiln
I bought a nifty new high tech kiln 4 years ago, and it is, ahem, tricky. Needs a lot of fixing. Yesterday I was horrified to see SPARKS AND FLAMES popping out of the computer control box. When you fire a kiln, as safe as they are, you stick around and watch them. I mean, they're just big toaster ovens, but you wouldn't put toast in there for 12 hours without watching it, right???
Anyway, I had this same problem about 6 months ago. I caught it early in the firing. The interior was only up to 400 degrees, and I cut the power and the sparking stopped. This morning, I unloaded, unplugged and took apart the kiln. You see that a white insulator was loose, and the element wire was in contact with the kiln's metal jacket. Luckily the element, the wires, the kiln and MY HOUSE are all OK. I replaced the insulator, and tightened all the insulators and wires, and then ran a test. Perfect.