Sunday, February 10, 2008

Dee Sprague, women on ice, busy day




(painting by Dee Sprague, pots by Gary Rith)
Rare day for me--I went out to a bunch of places and talked to all kinds of people. The last stop was the rather amazing opening party for Dee Sprague's paintings at Thou Art Gallery. This goat in real life is stunning, and Dee is this wonderfully sweet person with a taste for the colorful and the unusual, which suits this gallery and my tastes too. I also, ahem, happened to sell several items at this event from my display in the gallery, and met 3 nice people who are junking up their house with my pots and dust catchers.
Prior to that me and the missus were at Cornell University's massive winter employee celebration. Cornell employs 10 thousand people, including my wife, and it seemed all of them PLUS their kids were on campus last night having fun. In addition to the banquet, and YES, even a vegan was happy there, there was indoor track, gymnastics, basketball and we went to women's hockey against St Lawrence. The St Lawrence players were a bunch of large thugs and won 6-2, but it was a terrific game. The rink smells like 3 generations of sweaty hockey players, which isn't really appetizing you know.
Prior to that we were looking at pots and such at the museum. I always assume I prefer far-eastern pottery, Japan and Korea, plus Greek and Roman antiquities, but let me tell you, the coolest pots I have seen lately are pre-Columbian American pieces, Aztec and such. I am not finding good images online, so I need to sneak my camera into the museum and get some pics.
OK, a little snow falling outside now, a fat cat on my lap, time to tackle a Sunday without football....

9 comments:

Gordo said...

Sounds like fun, Gary. These days, I really prefer women's hockey over that roller-derby on ice in the NHL. The ladies don't have the size to play a physical, hitting game, so they actually play hockey! What a concept. :-)

Anonymous said...

hey, where did you get that picture of caeleigh beerworth on your site? her grandparents live in the same town as me. her cousin also goes to cornell.

cm said...

Goodness, Gary, I'm exhausted just reading about all that. Sounds like fun! And yay sales!

"tackle a Sunday without football" hee

Anonymous said...

Denis, you are KIDDING. And to think we were, ah, kidding over her name earlier! She must be the most popular student at Cornell!
Frankly, Gord, the game and the playing were terrific, and there was actualy a whole lot more fighting than you would have guessed! The team is over 60 percent Canadian, of course, the games are free nd I wonder why we havn't gone to more of them.

Anonymous said...

CM, I never go anywhere, this is almost a shock to the system.

Anonymous said...

Have a great Sunday, Gary. Don't get blown away...

Unknown said...

Sounds like good sport and good fun, and glad those gals can play rough, too! Nothing like a good mixitup on ice, I say! We had season tickets waaayy back years ago when Gordie Howe and sons were playing for the St. Louis Blues. I got shushed by my husband for screaming, "Kill him, Gordie". Seems like Mrs. Gordie was sitting right in front of us! Bet she was agreeing with me!

Anonymous said...

I went to those when I was a kid the Cornell family day. They are fun....hockey games are fun too...but yes smelly.

Anonymous said...

Kill him Gordie! ML, you are something.
Well, hp, seems like you could go now too!