Sunday, February 17, 2008

Gary's mom's VEGAN chocolate cake, if you can believe it


that's one and 2/3 cups flour, and YES, an ungreased pan



YES, I will share a recipe. Perhaps my mom is saintly for making vegan cakes for her son, NO EASY TASK, eh? On the back side, for frosting, where she says 'earth balance' that is simply a non-butter spread.
I figure if you make two, you can then make a layer cake and it will be amazing. In the picture below I had dumped on a bunch of nuts before baking, then a bunch of non-dairy choc. chips to melt on top in the last five minutes baking.
This is so easy and and tasty, no matter whether you are veg or not, on a diet or need a low cholesterol recipe, it is simply good and easy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Gary! And thanks to your Mama, too!

EH

Ellen said...

Oh! I may have to try this with whole wheat flour. My mother used to make a cake for my dad that was called "Poor Man's Cake" that was eggless, milkless and was pretty good. I will look and see if I can find the recipe. It was a spice cake...and yummy!

gary rith said...

gotta see that Ellen

Mother of Invention said...

Sounds great...may try to make it with less sugar. Why did all our moms have that same perfect penmanship?!!!

(Love you pet family! Like visiting Mooky and Socks' cousins! Plus Penny is a sweetie!)