Monday, January 28, 2008

pottery in action


(pottery by Gary Rith)
Yes, wild rice soup again.
The story today is these 2 dogs which are salt and pepper shakers. You pour out the eyes, and there is a little cork underneath. They were the last items I made in my New Hampshire studio 2 years ago, then we moved. I have had them on the shelf ready to sell for all that time, but I like them, so I hadn't priced them. I just liked looking at them, and was trying to get ready to part with them. Last week I knocked one down and broke the tiny litle nose, and glued it back on (no problem!) They're ours now! Yes!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I've just had breakfast, I've still got enough room for some of that wild rice soup, Gary. It looks wonderful.

Recipe - please??? :) I love soups.

gary rith said...

um, well, although I could guess: dry potato and mushrooms and seasonings and wild rice, add water and simmer all day, my sister gave me some premixed packets!

Tink said...

They pour out through the EYES? I guess that's no weirder than the head. I always thought that meant the salt was the shaker's dandruff. Bleh.

Anonymous said...

very cool and I love the Setting there - it all fits together so nicely!

Anonymous said...

Ah - premix. Well, I'll just have to look on the internet. We tend to make fresh, only because we're extremely careful about our sodium intake and premixes tend to have high levels of that.

Salad looks good. (can you tell I'm hungry!) ha!

gary rith said...

I had lunch at 10 am!

I think eyeballs with pouring pepper is funny :^)

Susan as Herself said...

Mmmm. that soup DOES look good.

Gordo said...

I love the eyes idea, Gary!

Anonymous said...

oh I have to ask.. do you use coarse grained salt? I just imagine regular salt STREAMING forth from those eyes

gary rith said...

Actually, Grego, I never use any salt. But it would have to be coarse grained.

Anonymous said...

Diamond Crystal puts out a kosher salt that is coarse and only has 280mg of sodium compared to regular table salt that has 590mg.

(just my little tidbit of info for the day... ;)

Anonymous said...

good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!