Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Pigs Ahoy!














People who know me a little bit get used to my quirky little thing: I love piggies. When I say that, I mean the pigs we see in illustrations or hand made. I made my first piggy bank around 1989, and have made thousands since. I can keep track easily, because the corks, like the one in that fellow's snoot above, come in bags of hundreds, and I once kept track of how many hundreds I sold each year. The guy on the upper left has become standard and is not too different from my first, just better feet, bigger ears, and in my quest to make a red glaze several years ago I stumbled over pink--perfect pig color. The bank second to left is a most recent type, small, sitting, and holding its own piggy bank--yes, that tiny thing is built to hold a dime. I have made smaller, non-functioning piggy banks for the doll house trade, each bank about the size of your pinky's fingernail, and perfect in detail. Banks also come in jumbo size, or as for banks, maybe 16 different animals, like dogs or penguins etc. On the right, two little pig figurines are on each side of the bank. I put those on mugs, teapots, pitchers, or just as they are.
Two reasons I discuss this. One, I need to make piggy banks as they all seem to be out in stores and there are none available, and two:

DREAM O' THE DAY: Well, maybe you're not surprised to hear that I dreamt that I was showing Heidi next door how to make a piggy bank and I got an idea for a new style of piggy bank that I thought was kinda brilliant and I woke up all excited and realized that it was close to a variant I already make. That's self-employment for ya: you even work in your sleep.
A couple last things. One, the mamabear and papabear are visitng today, therefore I can do one task I would rather put off: clean the house, again. But, it helps me put off what I really need to do, which is make new glaze batches. Those buckets are LOW. Making glaze is actually easy now, just down to the basement, open the bags of supplies, measure and mix like a cake. In our last house I had to drag all the ingredients out from under the house and mix them in the yard.

MMM, a couple last points: I live my hobby, pottery, but do have a hobby. I am a four-leaf clover hunter. Several years ago I found my first, which was a whopper with 5 leaves, and I save them all and have found: a seven leaf clover, eleven 4 leaf clovers in one day, TWICE, and four leaf shamrocks too. Gives a nice lucky boost to the day. I stuff them into 'c' for clover in the dictionary. I have found almost 250 in the last few years, almost 50 this year--this is a lucky place and a lucky year here! Anyway, spotted one yesterday at the playground and gave it to the missus--she needs a little luck this week. More on clovers another day.
Alright, last thing, seperate post above about David Makar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoo! Go Gary!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and found 5 or 6 four-leaf clovers on the side of Jay Peak with Denis, where he found his FIRST. Maude found her first this past spring at the playground, and now she hunts them too. She found a dollar the other day because she was looking...