Thursday, August 24, 2006

More tunes of the day: Linkin Park!

http://music.aol.com/artist/linkin-park/447095/main#
Linkin Park, Aug 24, 2006
OK, I can’t stand it: what if I don’t want to post in the morning? And it is afternoon? The heck with it! Work is done, and Linkin Park is on my mind. This is where my dad says ‘what is this noise?’ and my mom says ‘what kind of music is this?’ and my sister says ‘I don’t think I want my kids listening to this’, but here it goes anyway.
MTV promised videos on their site, but millions of teens around the world are messing with the site, so go to this fantastico link at AOL and look at the ‘From the Inside’ and ‘Numb/Encore’ videos. It may come in as a pop-up and have an ad, but worth it.
So, why are these guys on my mind? Thinking of my niece this afternoon, who received a dvd she didn’t want of Linkin Park Live in Texas, and I was like, hey, I wanna see this! It was good. As a matter of fact, what happened to all those noisy bands of a few years ago, Limp Bizkit, Godsmack and Creed? The number bands like Powerman 3000 and Blink 182 and the others? Coldplay is like sugar-free ice cream, yuck, you want something more rich sometimes.
I think it was Run DMC around 1990 or so who sampled Aerosmith’s ‘Walk this Way’ and introduced the world to heavy metal meets rap, (and suddenly Aerosmith was big again) and Cypress Hill took it and ran with it, then Limp Bizkit came along in the late 90s and it was a big thing all right, and Linkin Park did it better than any of them. I mean, they have a dj, and not one but TWO rapping front men, one with a matter of fact approach, and that other guy, kind of wailing and whining.
I mean, I don’t go out of my way to listen to either rap or metal, but together, these guys can perform. Like raw eggs and flour baked into a chocolate cake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I'm always surprised by how much I like Coldplay's latest. On the other hand, Monday night I'm seeing Korn. Rock on, dude.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, Celeste, we're on the same page. Cold Play does that awesome tune 'Moses' live (make note gr for further posts), but I think they are a little overplayed on alternative stations. As for Korn (second note) hard to explain why they and Rob Zombie (note # 3)are so appealing: that combination of rap, heavy metal, and death metal is custom made for the ears of today's youth.